X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23,120 Brazil, The number keeps going back

https://www.archaeology-world.com/pe...9lIM2toME1mOms

Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Interesting. I like to see what items dated to 23k ybp, if its the charcoal then its a very big deal indeed.

Last edited by TJdave; 02-28-2020, 05:31 PM. Reason: Found the cambridge article

Comment

Awesome read. Thanks for sharing.👍
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Cool! The African migration suggestion is a new one to me but that's some old sloth scale ornaments! Thanks for sharing!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

That not the only things that keep getting older . When I was in school they had the earth pegged at 1.2 billion. I failed that class then had to take it again the next year and they had new text books that year and it went up to 2 billion. Just looked online they say 4.543 billion now. Scientists sure are confounded by what they are discovering and their need to keep adding millions and billions in order to explain their evolutionary processes will probably not stop any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT.Digger View Post
            That not the only things that keep getting older . When I was in school they had the earth pegged at 1.2 billion. I failed that class then had to take it again the next year and they had new text books that year and it went up to 2 billion. Just looked online they say 4.543 billion now. Scientists sure are confounded by what they are discovering and their need to keep adding millions and billions in order to explain their evolutionary processes will probably not stop any time soon.
            The article suggests that the oldest evidence found dated to 60,000. While many might throw their noses up at that figure now judging by what I’ve seen in my lifetime the figure will be accepted And changed again. Man walked with dinosaurs. 🦕

Comment

It’s easy for me to understand..
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Kyflintguy View Post
                Cool! The African migration suggestion is a new one to me but that's some old sloth scale ornaments! Thanks for sharing!
                Funny how North American and South American archaeologists are often disconnected in their theorizing. I say that because, in fact, the African migration hypothesis is well known among Brazilian archaeologists.

Rhode Island

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                  Kyflintguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha! Well this is interesting, I'll have to look into it more but really not completely suprised by this disconnect of ideas.

• TJdave
                  TJdave commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I may be an odd bird, but I read archy papers for enjoyment. SA papers are more entertaining for sure, but some of the interpretation of the facts leans a little on the out there side of the way we look at them here in the US. Not saying its bad science, but some SA stuff look to be for entertainment purposes.

Because the Earth has always undergone geological processing, rocks dating back to the very earliest days of the Earth no longer exist. The Canadian Shield, and areas in Australia have some of the Earth's oldest rocks. We can, however, derive a rough estimate through our ability to date rocks not of this Earth, namely, by dating meteorites formed in planetary bodies at the very beginning of the Solar System. However, the Earth cannot be older than the Solar System of which it is a part. So, it will not be found to be older than present well established estimates:

"An age of 4.55 ± 0.07 billion years, very close to today's accepted age, was determined by Clair Cameron Patterson using uranium-lead isotope dating (specifically lead-lead dating) on several meteorites including the Canyon Diablo meteorite and published in 1956.[33]

Lead isotope isochron diagram showing data used by Patterson to determine the age of the Earth in 1956.

The quoted age of Earth is derived, in part, from the Canyon Diablo meteorite for several important reasons and is built upon a modern understanding of cosmochemistry built up over decades of research.

Most geological samples from Earth are unable to give a direct date of the formation of Earth from the solar nebula because Earth has undergone differentiation into the core, mantle, and crust, and this has then undergone a long history of mixing and unmixing of these sample reservoirs by plate tectonics, weathering and hydrothermal circulation.

All of these processes may adversely affect isotopic dating mechanisms because the sample cannot always be assumed to have remained as a closed system, by which it is meant that either the parent or daughter nuclide (a species of atom characterised by the number of neutrons and protons an atom contains) or an intermediate daughter nuclide may have been partially removed from the sample, which will skew the resulting isotopic date. To mitigate this effect it is usual to date several minerals in the same sample, to provide an isochron. Alternatively, more than one dating system may be used on a sample to check the date.

Some meteorites are furthermore considered to represent the primitive material from which the accreting solar disk was formed.[34] Some have behaved as closed systems (for some isotopic systems) soon after the solar disk and the planets formed.[citation needed] To date, these assumptions are supported by much scientific observation and repeated isotopic dates, and it is certainly a more robust hypothesis than that which assumes a terrestrial rock has retained its original composition.

Nevertheless, ancient Archaean lead ores of galena have been used to date the formation of Earth as these represent the earliest formed lead-only minerals on the planet and record the earliest homogeneous lead-lead isotope systems on the planet. These have returned age dates of 4.54 billion years with a precision of as little as 1% margin for error.[35]

Last edited by CMD; 02-29-2020, 11:21 AM.
                Rhode Island

Comment

The article suggests that the oldest evidence found dated to 60,000. While many might throw their noses up at that figure now judging by what I’ve seen in my lifetime the figure will be accepted And changed again. Man walked with dinosaurs. 🦕
                  Unless true human remains are found in excess of 65.5 million years ago, dating to the end of the Cretaceous Era, and the event that led to the extinction of all dinosaurs, with the notable exception of the avian dinosaurs, which we call birds, then no, man did not walk with dinosaurs. Paluxy River nonsense notwithstanding:

Last edited by CMD; 02-29-2020, 11:21 PM.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

I'm going to sound like an old schooler on this one but I wonder why there are thousands of examples of 1) Clovis points at a certain level with nothing below it. 2) that level matches the dates associated with the opening of the Siberian land bridge. 3) DNA evidence to suggest Siberian origin of the first people here. While the other side only has a few examples of maybe a chipped stone or a site in a known flood zone where the strata gets reworked from time to time over the years mixing everything up. I'm willing to accept maybe small bands of explorers came before the Clovis people, and even the Clovis would have taken time to cover two continents...but for me...Clovis first seems like the true overall theory of when people completely took over this new world.
                    Central Ohio

Comment

• flintguy
                      flintguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the link CMD. I've been trying to keep up with the info when it comes in. I've heard of the western stems, I think there was even a brief discussion on here about them and the sloth slayer. Admittedly, always looking to learn more. I would assume there had to be period of time before the Clovis point was developed, and spread across the continent. Assuming they followed migrating animals, they could have spread pretty fast though.

• CMD
                      CMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When all is said and done, whenever such a state is reached in understanding the peopling of the Americas, it will be full of surprises compared to our present state of understanding. At the moment, a Pacific kelp highway hypothesis for settlement by boat along the Pacific is better at explaining early dates then the ice free corridor entry of my childhood. But I think when all is said and done is still a long way from said and done, and I think surprises are in store. I'd like to see the narrative in 50-100 years from now.
                      Last edited by CMD; 03-02-2020, 09:16 AM.

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it Greg.

Comment

Working...
                    X