INDIAN MOUND

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INDIAN MOUND

Good morning, y'all! Each time I leave the house to go to the field I hunt, I drive by this Indian Mound. I seem to always forget my camera! I took a few minutes this morning, about a 3/4 mile drive down the road, to take a picture of this site. Ancient and also recent burial grounds.

Love it. That looks like one beautiful area.

Comment

That is sweet Pam, gives you a good feeling on the way to hunt! We are blessed to live in such a historical area where the Native Americans thrived!!!

Comment

Yes, Amber.  It is an undisturbed mound on the church property.  Also, many of the more recent graves are several hundred years old.  Here's a funny!  The mall which I take my Grandson to for his American Eagle clothing, 10 minute drive, is Indian Mound Mall!  I'm surrounded!!! :lol:

Comment

phbarnesjr wrote:

That is sweet Pam, gives you a good feeling on the way to hunt! We are blessed to live in such a historical area where the Native Americans thrived!!!
            Hi, Paul!  I agree wholeheartedly!  With that being the case, I attribute much of the flaked tools I find to the abundance of flint in the area and also to the Native Americans who thrived in OH.  "Thrive!"  I love that word!  I thrive to find the hunting artifacts that they left behind! :woohoo: 
          I have to mention your most recent find!  WOW!  Amazing!!!  Congrats!  Definitely one of a kind.

Comment

Thanks for the pics Pam. Indeed a special place.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thanks for the pic Pam. That is really neat. Dont see too many of those down South. But then again might not know what to look for.

Comment

That is amazing. Thanks for sharing with us, Pam. Nice set up for that shot too.

Comment

Cool pics...I can feel the spirits just looking at them.

Comment

Pam
                    I love that picture.
                    Jack

Comment

Like that Pam, most mounds end up plowed, dozed or built over, not everyday most of us see a mound and to see it saved on church property alongside of a graveyard, a good thing.
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I had a feeling y'all would like the photos.  Well preserved due to it's location.  The church, as you can see, is quite old itself and is still used as a place of worship to this day.  The photos really do the site justice and I was pleased to post them. 
                        Pam

Comment

Great, great photos, Pam, and there is absolutely no mistaking what that landscape feature is. So many were lost, thanks for sharing that survivor. It's beautiful and in a wonderful setting.
                          Rhode Island

Comment

Pam, I was thinking about this thread today. As neat as your mound is, it is not uncommon here in Illinois. I have seen at least three old historic cemeteries that had or were very near Indian mounds. It seems as though at least some our forefathers recognized hallow ground.
                            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

rmartin wrote:

Pam, I was thinking about this thread today. As neat as your mound is, it is not uncommon here in Illinois. I have seen at least three old historic cemeteries that had or were very near Indian mounds. It seems as though at least some our forefathers recognized hallow ground.
                                That is interesting Ray. Within about a 20 mile radius of where I live are 6 recognized mound sites. I have gone out and looked at these sites and not one is recognizable as a mound site. Three have been developed over! It is fortunate that some chose to preserve and protect sites like these and dumbfounding how others chose to ignore their significance.
                              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
                              X