Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11,000 Year Old Red Ochre Mine Found In Yucatán Cave

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...rchaeologists/

Last edited by CMD; 07-05-2020, 07:24 AM.
    Rhode Island

https://advances.sciencemag.org/cont.../eaba1219.full

Abstract

Investigations in the now-submerged cave systems on the Yucatán Peninsula continue to yield evidence for human presence during the Pleistocene-Holocene transition. Skeletal remains are scattered throughout the caves of Quintana Roo, most representing individuals who died in situ. The reasons why they explored these underground environments have remained unclear. Here, we announce the discovery of the first subterranean ochre mine of Paleoindian age found in the Americas, offering compelling evidence for mining in three cave systems on the eastern Yucatán over a ~2000-year period between ~12 and 10 ka. The cave passages exhibit preserved evidence for ochre extraction pits, speleothem digging tools, shattered and piled flowstone debris, cairn navigational markers, and hearths yielding charcoal from highly resinous wood species. The sophistication and extent of the activities demonstrate a readiness to venture into the dark zones of the caves to prospect and collect what was evidently a highly valued mineral resource.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Wow Doc!
      I’ve been reading and rereading all morning. Now, I’ve got more questions that most prolly will never be answered..I wonder how far the ochre was traveled. Were there grave good to help us understand more about rituals ? So these people weren’t just monkey dusting around with long burning high content resin wood fires.. To do this task, just how valuable was product ? Etc etc etc ... Im just fascinated ! TY Sir !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Always interested in the red ochre ritual type thing, thanks..
        Floridaboy.

Comment

A wonderful prized personal find from here in the Valley [actual color is brick red & soft like chalk] Red Ochre is very spiritual.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07640.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.9 KB ID:	467378
          Last edited by Rio Del Norte; 07-05-2020, 10:49 AM.
          San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

A fascinating study and thanks for bringing it to our attention. I found it particularly interesting because I have traveled in the area and visited several of the nearby Mayan cities that are operated as parks for visitors, including Tulum, Altun Ha and several others.

Comment

What the Ancient Pigment Ochre Tells Us About the Human Mind
              Archaeologists are learning how we evolved our cognitive abilities with the help of ochre, an ancient pigment used for everything from body paint to sunscreen.

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting read, Don. Thanks for posting.
            Working...
            X