Hoard of Civil War era coins found in KY cornfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoard of Civil War era coins found in KY cornfield

I read that valuables cached. Can you imagine finding this!? Bet he peed in pants…..
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• gregszybala
      gregszybala commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha! What a picture!

good on the finder
    Wyoming

Comment

• DiversionHound
      DiversionHound commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, the man could be a millionaire, easy...

"...Just one of these coins can go for six figures at auction, and the Great Kentucky Hoard boasts 18 of them... "

This was my favorite part of the article and is what gets me out of bed in the morning....

"Many wealthy Kentuckians are rumored to have buried huge sums of money to prevent it from being stolen by the Confederacy. James Langstaff left a letter saying he had buried $20,000 in coins on his property in Paducah, William Pettit buried $80,000 worth of gold coins near Lexington, and Confederate soldiers quarantined for measles reportedly stole payroll and hid it in a cave in Cumberland Gap. None of these caches has ever been recovered."

I suppose at least no one has ever reported recovering them at least...​

Comment

Awesome!
      I have a tale passed on in my family of buried Gold somewhere close to my Great, great Grandfather's homestead in Letcher Co. Ky... Supposedly they dynamited an overhang on top of a wagon carrying payroll for the confederates somewhere close to Scuttle hole gap on the south side of the pass. I was told that my Great grandfather found the location and when times got hard would dissappear into the hills and come back 1$ gold pieces that he would take to the general store and exchange for whatever provisions they needed. That story was supposedly cooberated by the Genral stores owners decendants to my Papaw later on. He spent many days in the mountains trying to find the hole. The only clues he had was wich side of the mountain and that it was a near two folds of the mountain and there was an angled hole only big enough to go down head first to reach the coins. Papaw called it the "gold of two folds". Me and my cousin still cherish the story and someday hope to give it a look-see for ourselves.

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
      X