Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with archaeologists question

Hello,
    Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this. I was wondering if any one here could give me their thoughts on a situation I am in. I have been field walking for a couple years now, just for fun and as an outlet, and for something to do with my kids. I sent some pictures of what I was finding to an archaeologist I was in contact with, and he and another archaeologist came out to my house and looked over the artifacts. One of the fields is on my friend's farm, and my friend told me I could look and dig where ever I wanted. The archaeologists came out with me and helped me identify some promising sites on my friends field. They were upset though because me and the landowner had dug a 2 meter by 2 meter hole to look at what was below the surface. They said we had disturbed a site and we shouldnt do that. My friend was a little annoyed because it was his own land but he did not say anything.
    Anyways, the two scientists told me they would teach me how to dig properly at a different site on the field, and then they canceled week after week, never able to come back out. In the meantime, I read about shovel test pits, and thought, what the heck? they said the first site was basically wrecked already, why not try to practice shovel test digging there? My kids and I had a great time, mapping the site, digging, and recording the locations and types of artifacts we found. It was not perfect, not a perfect grid, not perfect holes, but it was very fun and interesting and the first I have gotten my teenage son to be interested in this stuff at all.
    However, when I told the archaeologists what we had been up to, they were horrified. They said I was inappropriate and too impulsive and that I should repent and all kinds of stuff. They basically said no one, not even someone in their own backyard, should ever put a shovel into dirt without the approval or supervision of an archaeologist. they said they wanted to meet me at the site to deal with the mess I had made.
    I was very upset, because something that was so fun and interesting had now become stressful and a source of bad feelings. I was not expecting this at all. It has put me off of wanting anything to with even field walking now.
    Bear in mind, this is not some archaeological one of a kind find. It is not a grave mound or anything. So far it seems to be a Late Archaic stop over spot of some kind, primarily using argillite and boiling some stones.
    I would love to hear some feedback from someone on here with a lot of experience. Is this just how it is, the divide between avocational archaeology and "the professionals"? What do you think I should do? Sorry for the long post, but I really appreciate how helpful this site has been to me and I trust the expertise on here.

Never mind the so called “Archaeologists”
    if you have permission on private land tear it up.
    my own experience with archaeologists has been one big disappointment… misinformation and being off by thousands of years on age on a few of my artifacts tells me they’re the amateurs and a waste of my time… good luck on your hunt.
    Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

They the professionals are entitled to their opinions but it was good of you to check with to try and gain a better understanding of what to do but you probably ran into some unsavory fellows . They have been taught to dig with cement trowels their whole lives and their field has been evolving over the past 60 years to take better approaches and is certainly effective at capturing A picture of the way the site is used and how the peoples lived in that time frame. My consensus is that most of the history has already been appropriately cataloged and recorded in many of the states and in any given county of said state . Sadly most of their findings are locked away in dark rooms out of the view of the public never to see the light of day. Too many sites are lost to construction and development every day and some of the greatest losses are major riverine settlements due to the creation of lakes . Agriculture and the building of roads along rivers have covered and destroyed many millions more sites and where is the outrage and concern over that ? It seems like they are only concerned when someone like you puts his shovel in the dirt. I like what your doing and there will be those who turn their noses up because your not a quote un quote pro but if your collecting and recording more less your finds your doing great and the time your creating with your family is priceless. You can learn a lot on your own by doing what your doing. Get out and ENJOY!!!

Comment

That's the exact thing that has ruined the relationship between collectors and archaeologist. Ridiculous. What lies under that ground will NEVER be seen unless you discover it and show it. No way they will ever dig it

Comment

You did your due diligence. You contacted them, invited them out, shared what and where you learned. They’ve blown you off more than once despite your attempts to include them. Thousands upon thousands of sites have been bulldozed and paved over under their “watchful “eyes all over this continent. If they were serious about a controlled dig it would have been in the works by now.
          Have fun with your son learning and experiencing together, enjoy what you have together.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Well I appreciate all of your feedback. It helps me to get my thinking together on it. Its a shame that things are going the way they are going, but...thanks so much for replies

Comment

I wouldn't spend another second worrying about what these "archeologists" did. You handled it perfectly. They didn't. Move on and don't let them spoil your enjoyment of the hobby.

Comment

They think they are the only ones entitled to find "dig" artifacts. They will lie, cheat and steal from you given the chance in my personal experience.

Comment

they’re trying to take your hobby away...👍🇺🇸.
                  Floridaboy.

Comment

Archeologists are known for their bickering and backstabbing even (and particularly) among themselves. That happens when any folk are passionate, or even simply opinionated about any subject. Guess you stepped into “their” party!

Artifacts belong to all of us. They are references to our past. Those precious relics would still be silent and forgotten under the earth if it were not for you and your kids and the landowner….
                    Last edited by Cecilia; 08-05-2023, 10:06 PM.
                    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I’d probably have been not so kind as you were. I’ll leave it at that.

I have no place in my life for self important people.
                      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

If ever you try to work with a archeologist again , after the third degree , ask if they have a private collection ! As sometimes the best of the best lands at their home ! That will shut them down . I’ve worked with many of them.
                        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Cecilia
                          Cecilia commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I like to see you post!

• Mattern
                          Mattern commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I too have worked with many. you just have to know how to speck to them

I met with a young lady from the university in Memphis years ago who was an archaeologist and she actually sought out artifact hunters, and old pot hunter in particular. She wasn’t judgmental or an a-hole about anything, she was only interested in finding places she didn’t know existed. She was pretty great. Very out of character for the type.
                        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                        X