Editorial on artifact repatriation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editorial on artifact repatriation

This is an editorial about an Ohio museum repatriating artifacts.

Burying its prehistoric artifacts would be a short-sighted action by the Ohio History Connection and Indigenous tribes, Jerrel C. Anderson writes. https://www.dispatch.com/story/opini...s/70923859007/

I did not hear one word of this happening. I saw the display just last year. Remember it as a kid as well. The artifacts that were on display were beyond imagination. Now they are just gone? 😑
    Central Ohio

Comment

Remove history to appease the followers.

Comment

Thanks for the update Dave. I can understand repatriating the dead, but the tools made and used by natives should be saved to be studied and admired by all. This has never made sense to me. K
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

The vast majority of artifacts are kept without being readily available to be viewed by the public but only available to colleges or professionals to study and if these places/museums truly hold what belongs to the public then we should have access but seems like only now because they may loose it are they coming to the public for aid.

Comment

Now they are buried out of context with artifacts thousands of years apart placed together. Idiots. How cool would it be to spend a lifetime collecting and documenting artifacts, then donated to a museum. So they could display..... wait... repatriate them!
            Last edited by Garguy; 10-01-2023, 12:11 PM.

Comment

University of Minnesota dug a lot of Mimbres sites in southern New mexico way back in the 1930s. They have given a lot of the artifacts to a native group from Minnesota to destroy, and are about to do it again. Wonder how they figured someone from way far away way related, I would love to see the dna tests.

Comment

I appreciate all the comments. I posted this to see what everyone else's feelings were and they are very consistent with my own. I think this is about as sad as it gets. History matters.

Comment

I wonder who the trustees of the museum are. It seems to me they're violating their legal duty to protect and preserve property which is owned by the people of Ohio

Comment

I'm in California, I was warned by the local archaeological association, new laws mean: "If you find anything, don't tell the government or a college, they will just give it to the natives or destroy it ." I thought, this has to be hyperbole, evidently not.

Comment

Working...
                    X