Mark Rock Petroglyph Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Rock Petroglyph Site

The Mark Rock petroglyph site is located on the Providence River in Kent Co., RI. It was first investigated and recorded by Edmund Delabarre of Brown University in the early 1900's. In 1928, he published "Dighton Rock" which was a study of the Dighton Rock petroglyph site as well as every other site he could locate in RI, and to a lesser degree, bordering states. In 1979 I revisited the site, uncovered some glyphs that had been buried under the sands since Delabarre's time, and recorded some glyphs for the first time that Delabarre had missed. In 2002, my friend, and former state archaeologist of NJ, Edward Lenik, published "Picture Rocks. American Indian Rock Art in the Northeast Woodlands", which included a section on Mark Rock, and included a few of my photos. I will post links to these works at the end of this thread entry.
    The dot within a circle is one of the most common petroglyph motifs in the Americas. Perhaps the world? Tyson posted a photo of such a design on a panel in Colorado in the "Off the Wall" category. There are several examples at the Mark Rock site. First, is a human figure, which Delabarre interpreted as a native depiction of a colonial soldier with breast straps and buttons. It must be stated, though, that Delabarre believed natives only began creating petroglyphs after seeing Europeans write on paper, and these petroglyphs are of unknown age. At any rate, this is the best preserved human figure above the sands, although last I checked, it had become covered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-01-29 [replaced].jpg
Views:	310
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	218270

Name:	image_2013-01-29-2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	251
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	218271

This next one is most interesting. You can see 3 circles in the NE, SE, and SW quadrant of the design. Now look in the NW quadrent. The circle is completely exfoliated, but the camera still sees it, as well as lines connecting it to the NE and SW circles, and a circle in the center. In the negative of this photo, the exfoliated circle and lines are dramatically visible. Delabarre noticed the same phenomenon. The invisible circle could not be seen, at all, by the naked eye! This entire panel, as seen in the 2nd photo below, was destroyed by storms years ago, except for the little sun symbol, which I believe can still be discerned.

Name:	image_2013-01-29-3 [replaced].jpg
Views:	247
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	218272

Name:	image_2013-01-29-4 [replaced].jpg
Views:	244
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	218273

From Delabbare's study, the 4 anthropomorphic figures he found. From left to right, buried, buried, destroyed by storms, buried, but not deeply:

Next, a dot within circle design that shows "modern improvement" in what looks like a shallow drilled hole at center, but the rest is pecked and both Lenik and myself think it's a native glyph. He told me he has seen similar designs elsewhere. Dots with circles again.

Storms have taken a severe toll on portions of this ledge that remained above ground after Delabarre's study. Many of the glyphs he recorded have not been seen by Lenik or myself, because much of the ledge went under the sand and mud years ago, perhaps as a result of the 38 or 54 hurricanes. The ledge is certainly still there and hopefully those glyphs survived. If so, they are safe under the sands.

Delabarre's study, available here:

And Delabarre's chapter on Mark Rock, including all his photos and illustrations:
    http://archive.org/stream/dightonroc...e/236/mode/2up

Part of Lenik's chapter on Mark Rock, including my photos:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=yIQ...island&f=false
    Rhode Island

A sketch of the ledge. I added the striped lines in 1979 to indicate which portions of the ledge were then buried under the sands. Now it's almost completely buried. Taken from Delabarre's "Dighton Rock":

I used the drawing above to figure out Delabarre's scale, and then paced it off, dug in the mud, and photographed this design. Item h on the above drawing:

Here is another anthropomorphic design I discovered myself. I gave "him" the nickname Snoopy :silly:

An 19th century example of graffiti. Philip Greene's father was a farmer, plow shown to right of name, and his grandfather a  mariner, hence the anchor. Philip was born in 1806, and the inscription, based on other dated designs visible to Delabarre, is believed to have been inscribed in 1827.

Rhode Island

Comment

Wow CMD, thanks for the great links and photos!  It's amazing they had similar forms in all parts of the country!  I didn't realize there was any rock art out East?  Very cool!

Comment

Paleolution wrote:

Wow CMD, thanks for the great links and photos!  It's amazing they had similar forms in all parts of the country!  I didn't realize there was any rock art out East?  Very cool!
          Not as many as out West, but they exist in the East. I'm surprised this site does not list sites from RI. There were several sites on Narragansett Bay and its' tributaries:

Here's a good one, the Gardiner petroglyph. A handprint, located well inland in Washington Co., RI:

Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for the good read!

Comment

I believe there is also rock art in N. Michigan by the lake also.

Comment

The Mark Rock petroglyph site as it appeared in the 1920's, in a photo taken by Delabarre.

Rhode Island

Comment

Great pictorial essay Charlie! Thanks.
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

JR wrote:

I believe there is also rock art in N. Michigan by the lake also.
                    Where? I'm taking a ride!
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thanks Charlie, I always enjoy these posts. It's like sitting in on one of the professor's classes. You have been involved in some great projects, studies.
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Not sure where, I read about it years ago,maybe I can find it on the web.

Comment

Michigan rock carvings are just outside of Cass city Michigan ,they contain an archer,bear and others.

Comment

JR wrote:

Michigan rock carvings are just outside of Cass city Michigan ,they contain an archer,bear and others.
                            JR, don't know if this is the site you refer to, but this is from the ESRARA website I posted a link to above:
                            "MICHIGAN
                          Sanilac Petroglyphs State Park
                          Description: The Sanilac site was preserved and developed by the Michigan Archaeological Society. The petroglyphs are on a flat sandstone outcrop, and includes imagery that resemble animals, humans, tracks, and complex geometric designs. The age and cultural affiliation is unknown, but archaeologists suspect that the carvings were made by the ancestors of Algonquin-speaking groups in the area during the late prehistoric period.Access: The Sanilac Petroglyphs site is open Wednesday through Sunday, 11:30am-4:30 pm, May 28 through Labor Day. Allow 45 minutes for the petroglyph interpretive program and one hour for the nature trail hike. A pit toilet is available at this rustic location. Limited handicapped accessibility. School groups may tour the site on weekdays in May. Call for a reservation. Admission free.
                          Directions: The Sanilac Petroglyphs site is located south of Bad Axe. Take M-53 to Bay City-Forestville Road, then proceed east to Germainia Road and turn south. The parking lot is located on the west side of Germainia Road, about one-half mile south of the Bay City-Forestville Road intersection.
                          For More Information: Contact Michigan Historical Museum, 717 West Allegan, Lansing, MI 48918 at (517) 373-1979 ."
                          Rhode Island

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Thanks Charlie, I always enjoy these posts. It's like sitting in on one of the professor's classes. You have been involved in some great projects, studies.
                              Thanks, Greg. Now, if we could just get the Narragansett Bay "Runestone" back, I can die a happy man :laugh:
                            Rhode Island

Comment

Awesome I may take a ride this summer thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X