Celt and Spear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celt and Spear

I have a Celt and Spear that came from Cohakia Mounds area. My husband found it in the 1950's while digging a basement for a house, it was about 9 feet down and when he started to square the corners off he
    seen it. I took it to the museum in Cohakia, Ill. and they said they do not price things that is one of their policies. But he said they sure would like to have them to display in the museum. He said it was one of the nicest celts he had ever seen and it was better than the ones they had on display. But I was trying to find out what they was worth. He said they was from the 3,000 BC and 4,000 BC time. But that didn't help me with the value. He said we could donate them to the museum or just loan them and keep them in my name and if I ever wanted them back I could come get them, but I decided to bring them home. I am still looking for a value , I have gotten some guesses but they are all so far apart. Any suggestion on who would really know the value?

Post some pics of these items and you'll get more opinions of value....and maybe other opinions, info.
    To me they are worthless. :laugh:  :huh:  :dry:   I don't collect that area, those kind of artifacts or non personal finds. 
    So a starting point for value is Zero and it goes up from there.  It depends of what someone will pay, not really what it is worth.  A painting, a toy or a piece of furniture from the turn of the century is often worth more than an artifact thousands of years old. Makes no sense to me.
    IMHOP do not lend or give them to any museum.
    Why is the value important?  What is it worth to you and husband since it's your find?  What I've personally found has much more value to me than it does on the "market", even my finest pieces.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Tom...curious to know why you recommend against giving or loaning to a museum?

Comment

Hey Wanda, The best way to get a realistic idea of what they would sell for is to watch a few online auctions. Look to see what they sell for and not what some people are asking. It costs nothing to look.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

If your gonna loan it to them your better off just giving it to them because you'll never get it back anyways!!!

Comment

To: tomclark
            You ask why value is important to me, because I would like to get a fair price for it if it is worth anything ,we have had a health issue in the family and we are selling things we have acquired, because they are not as important to us as our family's health. You can always aquire things again but not health.
              Many thanks on you reply.

Comment

As Tom suggested, folks could probably venture a better idea on value if you could post good photos from a few angles. The reaction of the people at the museum certainly piqued my curiosity as they sound very nice and would enjoy seeing them if that's possible.
              Rhode Island

Comment

To:CMD
                Here is some pictures of the celt and spear head. I only had my Iphone to take the pictures I hope it is clear enough for you.

Comment

Working...
                X