Opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted

I'm thinking this might be a Lerma. Only bi-pointed blade at this size I can find. Do you guys think thats what it is or something else?

I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Hey Jeffery, I don't know what type it is but it sure is a beauty. Thanks for giving us a look.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Interesting Jeffery. Perino describes the Lerma point as being  Northern Mexican into Texas and in the 2000 B.C. range. Overstreet and others say early Archiac from Mexico to Alaska and list a couple variations. To really add to the confusion, I have read where at least two people with a great deal of expertise (one notable Archaeologist and one of the most knowledgeable collectors I know) say the type should be scraped altogether because of vagueness. Whatever you decide to call it, it is a nice bi-pointed knife.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thanks Ray
        I was just going by the book I have( which is an older Overstreet) so after I read your comment I went to the typeology page that Overstreet has on the net to see if things had changed since my book came out.This is what I found.
        Lerma Pointed
        Time Period : 10000-3000 B.P.
        Location : Siberia to Alaska, Canada, Mexico, South America and across the U.S
        Shape : Lanceolate
        Description:
        A large size, narrow, lanceolate blade with a pointed base. Most are fairly thick in cross section but finer examples can be thin. Flaking tends to be collateral. Basal areas can be ground. Western forms are beveled on one side of each face. Similar forms have been found in Europe and Africa dating back to 20,000 - 40,000 B.P., but didn�t enter the U.S. until after the advent of Clovis. NOTE: Lerma may be much older.
        I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

No problem Jeffery. For some reason the online Overstreet uses the 1000-3000 BP on the majority of types so I wouldn't consider that accurate. The description also is vague because it doesn't take into account the geographical area or culture. I think the so called type is kind of a catch-all for pieces like yours, which is why the two people (both Texans) I mentioned feel it should be scraped.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

It looks more like a Woodland blade of some sort, from the flaking.

Comment

Working...
            X