X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• point type on these Northeastern finds

Posted by [Mainejman]:

Can anybody type these?

Hey Jay Man, You have some nice finds there. Can't help with type but thanks for the look.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

how goes! o.k., lets see,the first looks like it could be a neville or a neville varient,second pic top row,maybe a stemmed knife or a greene?,cant tell on the middle one,maybe a guillford on the 3rd.bottom row,1st one looks like its had a hell of a life but i cant figure out its style could be really resharpened ,second looks like an atlantic,3rd maybe another neville or neville varient.3rd pic,a beautiful neville! and i cant see the base on the last one so i cant tell.im using "a new england typology of p.points" by the late jeff boudreau as a referance. hope this helps a bit or at least gives ya a place to start.
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

In the second photo, the last point on the right, with the long stem, is a point associated with the Maritime Archaic and a very similar style is known north of you as a Rattler's Bight point, named after a 4000 year old cemetery complex on the south coast of Labrador where they are common. Black point in last photo looks like from the Broadpoint family. The stemmed point to the left of the long stemmed one looks like an Atlantic or Snook Kill. The long stemmed points are different and Maine is different. An appendix had been contemplated for a future edition of the MAS typology that would be just Maine, because it is different then south of you, mostly because of the Maritime Archaic. There may be a unique name in Maine for the "Rattler's Bight" style, I'm not sure.
        Second thought, I think Jay's call of Neville on the black one at bottom is a better call.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
        X