Indoor Light Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor Light Box?

Anyone using one? Any benefits over just shooting near a window?
    I hate the amount of time my camera takes to adjust to the temps. (fogging lens) when it's cold.
    Doesn't fit in my pocket. What's your best tips -and- tricks for indoor pics?
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Olden, I don't use a light box this picture was taken in indirect light from a south facing window. The light from the window is coming from the right with a white 8x10 card used on the left to bounce the light back toward the point and fill in the shadows !

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-12-14 [replaced].jpg
Views:	30
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	211298

Comment

I have actually been looking at this for a while but I am not sure it will be large enough. http://www.ebay.com/itm/360321573749...84.m1438.l2649
      I talked to Jim Bennett at his Authentication Seminar and he said he uses a type of light tent. He also said he places his point on Glass above a Blue cloth it makes them look like they are floating. I wish I had asked him how big his set up was. I am sure his is a permanent set up with the ammount of artifacts he must photograph for his bi weekly auctions
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Wow I searched that over a year ago and saved it. I just searched again and it seems there are many more out there http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

From Butch:
          Olden, I don't use a light box this picture was taken in indirect light from a south facing window. The light from the window is coming from the right with a white 8x10 card used on the left to bounce the light back toward the point and fill in the shadows!
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Good idea Butch (and nice points). I hadn't even considered just using a reflector - I have a boat load
          of stuff to retype and photograph, so better to plan ahead and try'n get it right.

Comment

From Hoss:
            I talked to Jim Bennett at his Authentication Seminar and he said he uses a type of light tent. He also said he places his point on Glass above a Blue cloth it makes them look like they are floating. I wish I had asked him how big his set up was. I am sure his is a permanent set up with the ammount of artifacts he must photograph for his bi weekly auctions
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            I've tried the hovering glass thing some time ago, and liked it quite a bit - makes it easy to change backgrounds for contrast purposes. I think there's a non-reflective glass (used to cover framed art) that's better.
            I think I'm going to have to do some house cleaning and make a dedicated work site for this project.

Comment

Jim's tent is maybe a 30" cube. It works great if you are taking a bunch of pictures. The glass is plexiglass. I sometimes use my tent, which is 24", for taking a lot of pics- but controlled natural light works the easiest.
              Butch's method produces great pictures.

Comment

CliffJ wrote:

Jim's tent is maybe a 30" cube. It works great if you are taking a bunch of pictures. The glass is plexiglass. I sometimes use my tent, which is 24", for taking a lot of pics- but controlled natural light works the easiest.
                Butch's method produces great pictures.
                  I'm curious to try it -  I'll probably copy one from some of the DIY vids around. They're basically constructed from a cardboard box that's been cut out, and wrapped with a white sheet.. I think they're meant to be more of a even light diffuser more than anything else - probably not good for all applications.
                It would seem to me that a sheet of plexiglass would soon be scratched, but I'll look into it. Thanks Cliff!

Comment

Working...
                X