Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• education

Posted by [Mainejman]:

I understand with all the artifacts both discovered and the donations they recieve.That storing and recording them must be a daunting task.What i would like to see would be a more mobile and hands on approach to educating our youth on native american history in our schools.Here is the perfect chance on promoting the field of archeology and the preservation of important sites.We obviously have this huge inventory of artifacts and knowledge that i feel we have the responsibility to see that it gets utilized to its full potential.This could be done by establishing state by state programs using artifacts from their areas.By implementing them in with a schools program it seems to me it would be a win win situation.Plus these artifacts and their donors get the appreciation and the respect they deserve.Then people might not be so reluctant to donate their treasures to such a unglorified ending.Just an oppinion.

Well put Jay, wish the powers that be would consider a more hands on and diversified education than kids receive today. Seems that children continue to loose that well rounded education that was considered so important not to many years ago. Focus seems to be more and more on Science and Math (nothing wrong with that to a degree) with a whole lot of testing to Make Sure kids can compete with the whole world. I have even read an article where writing is falling by the wayside!
    Could just see the look in a child's face if they were given the opportunity to see, and handle artifacts. Along with a bit of real history about this continents past. Have yet to see a child that doesn't respond well to actual interaction with the subject matter.
    Maybe your the man to get this going?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Very thoughtful, Jay, and it wouldn't be so difficult to work even one day of hands on and talking about the prehistory of a child's "neighborhood" into a grade school curriculum. Spark both an interest early, and most important, instill an appreciation for preservation.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Posted by [Mainejman]:

Dont think so gregs i hate kids! :laugh: Seriously though sites like this reach and educate more people with its sharing of finds and information than any museum.With all its diversity and personal opinions in my mind it cant be matched.If for no other reason just the fact that most museums dont specialize in just native american artifacts especially from other states.

Comment

Posted by [Mainejman]:

You know it cmd.I grew up in illinois and i wish as a kid someone would have come to my school and told me there was artifacts to be found.I got my own selfish reasons for this desire for early education on na artifacts.If i would of started then i would have damn sure found an axehead.But alas my journey led me to maine the land of few axes.... my brother lives in illinois he dont even look for arrowheads to busy fishing.Hes got a nice full grooved axe head.Nope he wont part with it.

Comment

Working...
          X