Making Display Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Display Cases

Hey ya'll - I've decided to use the rainey days by trying my hand at making arrowhead display cases for my collection. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, especially in cutting plexiglass without splitting it. I've gots lots of white/red oak, black walnut and some maple. I've got the tools and desire, just not the knowledge. My motto is "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." I may find out in the end that it's cheaper to purchase one ---Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Chuck,
    I haven't personally made any frames or shadow boxes, simply because I don't have the time, knowledge, or shop!  I just buy them, they are pretty well made for the price, and you can't build one for the money and time it takes.  I do have a couple examples of the frames I buy, then add some drawings to them to spice them up a little.  Check them out in my photo section named frames...

Comment

Chuck, if you have the tools I say go for it. I gotta feeling one you made yourself would be worth much more to the "maker"  than the cost of making it.

Comment

Tyson - Those frames are great looking but the artwork is freekin awesome.  I forgot ur the arteeest and a super one at that.  I'm gonna give it a stab but I don't hope for anything quite as artistically inspired as your's.  Butch - Time is something I have plenty of, being retired and all, and I accquired the tools over a long period of time.  Unfortunately - I didn't acquire the skill that really wanted to at the same time.  But - I'll give it a try.  All I can do is waste some wood.  ---Chuck
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I would like to see it when your done Chuck. I would like to try to make one myself but when it comes to making stuff like that Im Bob Villa from Hell!

Comment

Never made any from scratch but have taken Shadow Box from Hobby Lobby, put stronger back on -and- used foam -and- felt to replace the mesh stuff they come with. Had to put two better latches on also. Now I think about it that was a lot of work :unsure: But like most of you I just buy better ones,always have them at artifact shows. Joe.

Comment

Hey Mark, did Bob actually make anything, I thought he always had Norm do it :laugh:

Comment

when i use plexiglass i put masking tape on it first and use a coping saw or a jig saw with a real fine blade.be sure to support your plastic realy firm.

Comment

Chuck, One of the most important rules is, watch your fingers and thumbs!
                  By the way, How is it going?
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Chuck
                    I love wood working and wish I had that hobby. I like glass a lot better than plexiglass as it has a tendency to scratch.
                    Jack

Comment

Im with you Jack plex is easy but easy to scratch also. Glass much easier to clean -and- to keep clean. Joe.

Comment

Hey ya'll - I got it started.  Bought some 1/8" plexiglass.  Neighbor gave me some white oak slabs that I cut down to inch and half squares so I can notch out one side to fit the plexiglass into.  Got to thinking bout what Jack said about glass and might use it instead. But I'll use Billy Mac's advice on how to cut plexiglass.  Greg I already know all about saws and skin/muscle.  Had index finger and palm cut thru with a 7 1/2" saw and wound up under the knife for 4 hours while they put it all back together.  Then I nailed my thumb with a finish nailer.  Got some experience, just not the right kind.  Anyway - as I was cutting the notches out of the pieces, the motor went out on my table saw.  Took the motor out to a shop and they say it'll cost more to repair the motor than I can buy a table saw for.  Mine was $200 and I see that Lowes has one for $129.  So, it's a minor set back.  Will keep ya'll posted.  ---Chuck

Comment

Chuck,
                             I find it better to buy my 12x18 walnut cases for storage, but I make my custom sizes and inlaid cases for show. I've been known to get an artifact and build a case for it the same day. I have a good stock of walnut, and keep locks, hinges, foam and glass to cut. so my costs are minimal. But, it will cost about $12 or so to make a 12x18" that you can buy for as cheap as $18-$20. I just like to make my custom sizes as I need them.
                          Here's what I do-
                          A 1" (inside)deep case takes 2" stock (3/4" thick). Rip that down, then on one edge route out a lip for the bottom plywood. Measure your 4 side pieces then mitre your corners to make your box and glue/dowel/brad the four pieces together. Then put the bottom in. After that sets up, rip the top 3/4" from the box. That's your top. Then, you route out a lip which holds the glass (or like I do, I route a groove into the stock before any assembly. Cut your glass then use silicone caulk to fasten in. Sand the whole deal, finish it, etc, then install hinges and locks.
                          The inlaid cases are made with a box then a face frame for the top, to allow the inlaying.
                          It's fun and rewarding work.
                          Cliff

Comment

Ohh, and I do use glass- plexiglass looks crappy after a few years in every case I've seen.

Comment

Scorpion68 wrote:

Hey ya'll - I got it started.  Bought some 1/8" plexiglass.  Neighbor gave me some white oak slabs that I cut down to inch and half squares so I can notch out one side to fit the plexiglass into.  Got to thinking bout what Jack said about glass and might use it instead. But I'll use Billy Mac's advice on how to cut plexiglass.  Greg I already know all about saws and skin/muscle.  Had index finger and palm cut thru with a 7 1/2" saw and wound up under the knife for 4 hours while they put it all back together.  Then I nailed my thumb with a finish nailer.  Got some experience, just not the right kind.  Anyway - as I was cutting the notches out of the pieces, the motor went out on my table saw.  Took the motor out to a shop and they say it'll cost more to repair the motor than I can buy a table saw for.  Mine was $200 and I see that Lowes has one for $129.  So, it's a minor set back.  Will keep ya'll posted.  ---Chuck
                              See Chuck, I keep telling you that you shouldn't be around sharp things. Still willing to help you out !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X