CORE? i know its not polyhedral, but is it a core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CORE? i know its not polyhedral, but is it a core

found this chunk in the river..looks like it had flaked off of, though irregular flake scars.

Hey Ken - Was ya plannin' on postin' a pic.  Would really like to see what ya found and learn what a Poly whatever is ---Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

sorry..have problems with pic uploads

Comment

Comment

Hey Ken - Definitely a core/spal but I might go a little further and say cause of that relatively sharp edge, it was probably also used as a scraper.  The Ancients tended not to waste anything and this looks tooooo good to pass up.. ---Chuck
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

thanks, chuck.learned about these in school and even participated in flaking a long flake off a large core wedged in a stump, preesure flaked it with crutch. this didnt look like the core we used, alot smaller and not so much long blade flaking.  the cortex covered base is round and the rest is like a block. i was in doubt, but when in doubt......keep it and ask! -kenny

Comment

Kenny I agree with Chuck that looks to be a scraper, looks like it has been used and resharpened before. Aren't ya glad you didn't leave it lay? Bill

Comment

i think youre on to somethin, fellas. i held it my hand and imagined it used as a functioning tool and looked at the edge and it appears(will have to get better camera soon as to show detail)that it was used like a chopper?! the edge has some pulverized edges..could it be?...i love how sometimes its a mystery and wonder how these tools were used practically...sometimes all we can do is theorize.  thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                X