Blank?/Shape/Form/Neat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blank?/Shape/Form/Neat

Possibly a, "blank?" I'm working on learning terminology. It's really not easy and I don't think I'm ever gonna get it at this, "point", in my life. Appreciate all input...even if I am way off, "base". "Flaked", and discarded? I thought this was a neat hunk of flint!

Hey Pam, hope you are doing well. Man you are finding tons of great flintridge material. I am wondering if that baby wasn't used as some type of "sawwing" device, noticing the 4 to 5 large formed serrations in the top which makes sense for leverage purpose to locate there. How large of piece is it? Patience on the learning, I've been at this stuff for 7 years now and still learning, believe me it will come, you're to passionate about it not to prosper, I can see that-Bill

Comment

Mornin Bill-This piece is just a tad over 2" X 2".  Failure to post a pic of the other side may change all perspective.  See Below.  What are your thoughts on the latter?  I love the Flint Ridge, flint!  That's why I can't resist bringing it all home!  Doing better tho!

Comment

Pam
        That is a worked piece. Looks like some flakes were taken off it trying to work it down. Looks like they got hung up on some stacks which they could not work through.
        Jack

Comment

Yes the stacks do surely indicate a problem in continuing workmanship, have to agree with Jack on that. Are you close to Flintridge Pam? Man you are finding a boatload of it-Bill

Comment

Bill-Hi ya.  In answer to your question; Yes I do live close to Flint Ridge...probably about a fifteen minute drive from home.  The area that I look for my artifacts is South of Flint Ridge.  The acreage of the fields, a guesstimate of appx. six acres, is jammin with flint.  There seems to be several sections in which it appears that the Native Americans had some sort of flint workshop!  Flint flakes galore!  It's someplace I can go in Ohio, that when the sun goes down over the landscape, I walk in peace. Without saying too much, which I probably did; it's a, "spiritual", experience. 
            Wish that, "boatload", had a few more pieces that weren't broken, flaked, or stacked. :laugh:

Comment

think of it like this...without them chips we would have no arrowheads to find!

Comment

Pam - With all of this stuff you've been finding - you're definitely gonna find something real nice soon.  It's there just await'n for ya.  When you least expect it, that's when it'll happen.  Keep up the spirit!! :lol: ---Chuck
                Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

roustabout149 wrote:

Bill-Hi ya.  In answer to your question; Yes I do live close to Flint Ridge...probably about a fifteen minute drive from home.  The area that I look for my artifacts is South of Flint Ridge.  The acreage of the fields, a guesstimate of appx. six acres, is jammin with flint.  There seems to be several sections in which it appears that the Native Americans had some sort of flint workshop!  Flint flakes galore!  It's someplace I can go in Ohio, that when the sun goes down over the landscape, I walk in peace. Without saying too much, which I probably did; it's a, "spiritual", experience. 
                  Wish that, "boatload", had a few more pieces that weren't broken, flaked, or stacked. :laugh:
                    Yeah Pam, you're in a great area! I've hunted in the fields by I-70 and the Brownsville exit and found a few points and boatloads of beautiful flint! Keep hunting, and your collection will grow much faster than you think! Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X