Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fakes & Fake COA;s

Fakes
    To make a good fake takes a tremendous amount of specialized skill and hard work, first you have to find the correct material, flake it in the proper style, age the item, then apply a convincing patina, but the rewards for doing this well is immense monetarily, and the down side minimal.
    If I am going to spend good money for an artifact I want to be secure that the money spent is not being flushed down a rat hole. I work hard to educate myself on what to look for in buying authentic artifacts and even thought I feel secure in being able to tell I still want that COA from one of the top authenticators. I see this as securing what I know about the artifact, but also an insurance policy for my family in stating this is a good one and after I am gone not to give it away. A Clovis with a Rodgers COA will bring more than one without.
    Another thing I look at is the COA attached to the artifact. I want to make sure if it has a Perino Paper on it that the Perino Paper is not fake. Those that are spending the time faking the artifacts are also spending the time in faking the paper to go along with the fake. .
    So be careful when buying any artifact, buy from only those you trust and have a 100% return policy if you are not happy with the artifact.
    Jack

Jack, the fake Perino papers are signed Gregory instead of Greg arnt they? Mark.

Comment

Mark
      Perino used an embossed stamp using the name Gregory, not Greg. The problem is someone or someones have made an embossed stamp very similar to Gregs stamp but there are some differences. Go to Artifact Company website and it will show you the difference between Gregs good stamp and the fake stamps, or just google up Perino fake paper and it will supply you information to chose from.
      Jack

Comment

Thanks Jack!

Comment

Mark
          If you are talking about when he was actually signing the COA he used Greg (before 1989)instead of Gergory and the old type writer he used had a dropped E so you could tell it was his, but the fakers have even gone so far as using the same typewriter -and- fount, but also adjusted the e so it dropped. They also smoothed some of the keys to give the letters that aged look when typing.
          Jack

Comment

This was a topic last year on the AACA site, couldnt remember the differences! Right after the AACA thread seen one on ebay, the paper was fake and the point was very fake! Always wanted to get one of his pieces!

Comment

Mark
              I used to collect Hayes and Agees and would only use Greg for Caddo items as he knew more about these than anyone. I sent Greg 24 Hayes at one time from a collection I bought and he phoned me and was mad as hell and told me never to send him that amount ever again as he was to old to keep up with that many at one time. Then he said how was I doing and he would have them back to me in a few weeks. What a great person he was, he impacted so many people in our collecting community in a positive manner.
              Jack

Comment

Would have liked to met the man, a legend in our community. Another one I would have liked to met was Lar Holthem. I have a autographed book of his, Best of the midwest. I got it from Larry Garvin. Perino even named some types too I think I read somewere? Mark.

Comment

Mark
                  If we could only bring them back. They had so much to offer. I smile when I think of Greg and always will, that is how I want to be remembered with a smile.
                  This picture was taken August 1962 on the front porch of his home going through a box of artifacts.
                  Jack

Comment

Jack - Thanks for the info and the great story.  Really appreciate you sharing that with us.  If only everyone had his integrity we wouldn't have to worry about fakes. ---Chuck
                    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
                    X