Good question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good question!

Hey guys and gals! I live by the Ohio River and there are plenty of round palmed sized rocks! Whats the difference between a river rock and a pestle?

Dan - you're leaving yourself wide open to some humor like - Well a river rock is usually found where there is or has been a river and a pestle is a hand-held object, usually of wood or stone, that is used with a mortar to grind things.  GOTCHA.     I hope ya got a sense of humor  :whistle: ---Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Chuck I have one of the best sense of humor...but I find these rocks everywhere...I will post pics!  The reason I kept this was it was about 10 miles from the river in a soy/corn field!

Comment

Found this also!

Comment

If it was a nice shaped river rock and was handy the Indains would use it if they did not have their old stand by around. Had to fit in the hand, be comfotable to use, any stone fitting that would do.
          Jack

Comment

Dan - Yea - like Jack says the ancients would use just about any rock that was comfortable in the hand and would serve their purpose.  I'd put the rock in Mama's flower garden and keep the point in my collection.  Nice point, even it does have a shoulder missing.  ---Chuck
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Someone post a picture...I've seen the round in the hand and pointed or flat end for grinding I think I have a sex stone!

Comment

Thanks Chuck...mommas getting a bigger rock garden everyday...LOL!

Comment

3/4s of that point is missing....still I found something!  I love it!  Can't wait for the river to go down!

Comment

Dan-
                    The difference between a pestle (or hammerstone) and a river rock is the use wear on the working edges. If the river rock has no signs of pounding or grinding- it wasn't used as a tool. A common river cobble will display the rind or cortex intact.
                    River cobbles are not only in or near modern rivers. Cobbles were also carried in many places by glaciers and even ancient rivers that no longer exist. Cobbles were also carried by early man to their villages for possible future use. So, look for the use wear.

Comment

Thanks Cliff!

Comment

Dan, if it's a real nice river rock, you may be able to trade it for a pocket knife, I'd keep it !

Comment

Hey Butch - I saw your knife getting hauled away by a turtle yesterday.  I traded him the knife for some soup.. :laugh: Check out "It's Whats for Supper"  ---Chuck

Comment

Working...
                          X