Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cataloging Artifact Finds/Sites, etc....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cataloging Artifact Finds/Sites, etc....

How many people actually catalog their finds?
    As of right now, I only keep my pieces in individual baggies with a piece of paper that has the date they were found, and the site name.
    At one point, I used Avery self adhesive address labels and a 3-hole punch to make a bunch of little round self adhesive labels. I started my numbering out with "1," and got up to about "200" and I used a piece of paper that told me: pieces 1-15 were found at "site name" on "date found." After a while, that got old and tiring, so I stopped.
    I'm now thinking about keeping better track of my artifacts, but I want to know if anyone has any recommendations on how to do this and why it may be important.
    Since I'm a computer guy (who has unfortunately been unemployed for 3 years (thanks to our economy)), I have found an Access Database from another state, and updated it with information from Ohio. I even updated the Help file to add additional things that I thought was important (such as: using www.geoplaner.com to give me a general idea of what the coordinates are for the site).
    I have attached the zipped files for the database. Feel free to look it over and let me know what you think. It's probably allot more elaborate than what it needs to be (for basic artifact cataloging), but I figured it would provide enough data for future historical reference.
    Thank you in advance.
      OhioArch.zip

I don't remember now where I got it but I have a book that's made just for cataloging artifacts. It has a place to either put a picture or outline of the artifact, then next to that places for what it is, where, when it was found etc. It's about large notebook size and can be used for over 100 artifacts I think.
    If I remember where I got it I'll let you know. I think it was at a large book store many years ago.

Comment

Well, that is a lot of cataloging! Couldn't get the accdb file to open but did get the chm file.
      Me, I keep the better finds in site specific frames, the uglies and brokes etc. on a shelf so I can scan them from time to time and see if the newest broke I've brought home may fit the pieces laying there. Also take pictures of each find and attach a site name to the photo. But no dates, no id as to type or lithic. Guess I'm too lazy!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Thank you for your input, Adena and Greg... I'm sorry you couldn't get the Access database to open, Greg. Do you have the full MS Office suite installed on your computer? If not, you may have to find an Access database reader online, and I can try locating one for you if you'd like to take a look at my creation.
        As for cataloging, I'm not 100% sure I want to do all that extra work, but just thought it may be useful in the future. In fact, I volunteered for an archaeological dig about 15 years ago. It was at a site found by a man who hunted the area back in the 60's and 70's and he had found a bunch of flint and stone artifacts. When the city decided to put a road through the area, he submitted his finds to the Ohio Historical Society and they decided to excavate the area for research. Although their time was limited, they removed 18" of topsoil, and found clues to a large camp site.
        Soooooo, to make a long story short, if any of my finds may hold some sort of historical significance in the future, to get a site excavated before development, then maybe I should keep records of some sort?
        Thanks again!
        Jeff

Comment

I don't catalog Jack, it's all from West Central Gulf Coastal FL.  Only a few displays/bins that are from specific sites.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

A small piece of masking tape or paper stuck with scotch tape works well for putting county, date, etc. if you just want to keep that info on the back side of pieces you're displaying in a frame too.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys... I'm actually too lazy to catalog everything I find. Heck, I don't want to catalog ANYTHING I find!
              I think I'll just continue what I'm doing by giving my site a name, and putting the date that I found it in the bag with the artifacts. The location of the site will be identifiable by the coordinates, after I look them up on geoplaner.com... The only reason I want to keep track of this information is for the integrity of my children knowing where I found the particular artifacts at, in case they want to visit the site(s) in the future.
              Again, thank you for your input... Jeff

Comment

Posted by [GarScale]:

I take pictures. Download the file and the date is there. Title with location.

Comment

Hello, Jeff -
                  Personally, I use a museum technique to mark individual artifacts that I consider significant.  This technique is as follows:
                  1.  Apply a coat of clear nail polish [I use Sally Hanson brand.] on a portion of the artifact.  Allow it to dry for 24 hours.
                  2.  Use an ultra-fine Sharpie marker to write in small writing the name of the county and state where the artifact was found.  I also add initials of the individual site.  Allow it to dry for 24 hours.
                  3.  Gently daub a small amount of clear nail polish on the writing.  [Brushing it on will often smear the writing.] 
                  If the artifact is made of dark material, apply a layer of flat white enamel (available in hobby stores) upon the coat of nail polish applied during step #1.  After a few hours, apply another coat of clear nail polish on the white enamel and allow it to dry about 36 hours.  Then proceed with steps #2 and #3. 
                  This technique works well for me, and it is "reversible" in that nail polish remover will remove everything if I ever desire to do so.  It takes very little practice to become proficient in this.  I have learned the hard way to allow sufficient time between steps for the nail polish, enamel paint, and writing  to thoroughly dry (normally 24 hours).  When I rush the process, I usually smear the writing and have to start all over.
                  Marking significant pieces in this way preserves the provenance of those artifacts in a safe and professional manner.
                  Regards, Torrey

Comment

INFORMATION CENTRE:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Print an ariel photograph (ie google maps) of all your sites and put in three ring binder.  After each hunt,  snap a picture of finds and print; then just put behind appropriate site pic. Easy , fast and organizes itself.

Comment

GarScale wrote:

I take pictures. Download the file and the date is there. Title with location.
                          Same Here Quick and easy .

Comment

Working...
                        X