Monolithic Style Hatchet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monolithic Style Hatchet ?

I purchased this item at an estate sale of a high end collector. I was hoping i could get feed back concerning it. Any real comments are welcome and I would be thankfull/

It appears to be made of steatite. My guess is it is modern. That is just a guess.  Your best bet is to send it off to an authenticator or take it to an artifact show and show it around ask for opinions.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I have to say that my first impression of the piece is that it is modern. The material is wrong as is the form and workmanship. This is one of the rarest artifact classes and there are probably less that 2 dozen genuine ones in existence. I personally have only seen two that I was sure were good old pieces. All that said, I agree with Hoss, Pictures on the internet are no substitute for in hand inspection. I am not sure where you are located but it would be well worth your time to take it to a show or send it to someone knowledgeable for evaluation. I am including a link to one of our articles on monolithic axes.
      Arrowheads.com - Largest Indian Artifact Website on the Internet. You can find Native American arrowheads for sale. Buy and sell Indian relics online.

Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Have to say, I agree with the above opinions and advice! Good luck and keep us up to date if you have someone look at it in person
        Southern Connecticut

Comment

I agree with the others. Get it checked out.
          I'm not sure this is a "REAL COMMENT" but then I don't know what an unreal comment is either. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Well it is up to 52 dollars

Comment

On Aug-19-14 at 19:00:37 PDT, seller added the following information:
              It is definitely a Monolithic peice. One inspection from Treasurenet.com says "if it is a Native American, it's a Museum piece". Go to Treasurenet.com and check it out under HyHoSilver . Some promising remarks..........

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Well he does have it listed under
                Back to search results |Listed in category:
                Collectibles>Cultures -and- Ethnicities>Native American: US>Non-Native American Crafts
                Wow Treasurenet said that huh? I am gonna sign back up. LOL  I wonder why he did not mention us.  Neglecting to share what several experienced artifact collectors said here. That is a down right insult.

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I realize this is "Tongue in Cheek":  Neglecting to share what several experienced artifact collectors said here. That is a down right insult.
                  Thanks Matt, Truth is that's a huge compliment.
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Truth is he was only looking for positive comments from the get go! Looks like he went to the right place LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X