Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can You Tell What An Artifact Was Used For?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Tell What An Artifact Was Used For?

I was looking in my frames and pulled these Pedernales out of the frame. These were used for knifes. You can look at these and tell how they were hafted and how they were sharpened while hafted.

Here is a drawing I did on the subject:

Jack

Yep, and a lot of people get confused looking at shapes for types and not realizing the stages of use like that.  Good post!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Another good post, thanks Jack
      Love learning something new everyday, appreciate it.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Yes, great illustrations.
        Thanks again, Jack.

Comment

Jack, I have looked at things like this before but never thought about drawing a line down the middle like that to get the idea of why it has its current shape. Thank you. U put a new perspective on all of my finds. I look forward to meeting you in person at the Temple show. Thanks again.
          Chris.

Comment

Joe
            I draw and paint a little.
            Thanks
            Jack

Comment

Chris
              Will see you in Temple.
              Jack

Comment

Jack - Another lesson.  Amazing.  Like Chris says that center line gives a whole new perspective to some of the points I have.  Thanks Again ---Chuck
                Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thanks fer the lesson, Jack! Center line imagery does give alot of perspective!-Kenny

Comment

Chuck
                    That center line is the key to figuring out how a artifact may have looked before it was sharpened down. Almost all the points in my collection have been sharpened to some extent. I have only a handfull of first stage artifacts. The natives made stone points to be used and did not waste anything. They reworked a point until they could not use it anymore, knowing the stages of how they did this opens up a whole new point of view.
                    Jack

Comment

Once again Jack, thanks again. As Chris pointed out (no pun intended) that puts a whole new perspective on my collection as a whole. Thanks-Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X