Need identifying an unusually shaped artifact/tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need identifying an unusually shaped artifact/tool

Wondering if anyone can help me identify this artifact/tool. Some kind of spade or adz? I think the shape is unusual. Flat and smooth with a beveled edge on one side; rough and bulky on the other. About 7-1/" long. A catalog number was written on the artifact at some point in its history. I was told it was found in Ohio. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	002 s [replaced].jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	210492

Click image for larger version

Name:	004 s [replaced].jpg
Views:	33
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	210493

Celt???  :dunno:  :dunno:  Not what I would expect from Ohio? I will reserve judgement for other members thoughts. Cool artifact!
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Really nice bit on that adze. It is a wood working tool An Adze is mounted on a handle perpendicular to the axis of the handle. Mounted like a gouge they were used to make dugout canoes and wood bowls and other wood working
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice tool Seekin - it shows that they didn't always have to be pretty to get the job done. Sometimes it's function over form.
        If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Yep, an adze. Often, they are completely pecked and ground into shape, ofttimes they are chipped into shape. Looks like that one had some of both manufacturing techniques.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks to all for the input!  I thought it was probably used as an adze or similar, but the combination of coarse work and fine work on the same tool had me wondering.
            "chase" mentioned earlier that it didn't seem typical of Ohio.  Does anyone else have an opinion?

Comment

It looks like Limestone to me Can you read the word on the end ?
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Looks like a catalog number.  I believe it reads, OUAL/5/20.

Comment

It does look different thanwhat one would normally see.

Comment

Thanks to all for your input!

Comment

Working...
                    X