No announcement yet.

Broken points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought maybe u guys would like to see this.. Friend of mine who makes and hunts with primitive equipment knapped this point and yesterday he took a 500lb black bear with this stone... The impact fracture almost fluted this point..
    side a

side b

My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!.... They didn\'t make us free we were born free, as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free!

Comment

very very cool
      i wish i could hunt with stone heads here
      does he make his own self bows too?

Comment

That's cool, thanks!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Yes he makes his own bows also..
          My liberty and freedoms are not yours to give or take!.... They didn\'t make us free we were born free, as long as we have the 2nd amendment we will remain free!

Comment

right on! 500lbs. nice bear!
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

hvs wrote:

Yes he makes his own bows also..
                cool, you think you get a pic or tow of them to post?
              i would really like to see them,as i also make my on bows
              i have about three right now,and several others in progress.just need to find the time to finish them.
              i think ive made about 65 so far

Comment

Thanks Ron, Cool arrow and point and that impact fracture is awesome.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That is amazing! Using these tools to do there intended jobs really helps to understand them, that's a textbook impact fracture! The pressure on the tip removes a flake very similar to the way setting up a platform to remove a flute would be done... I'd frame that one for sure,  right over my new bear rug! Or better yet,  resharpen  it and take another bear, then retire it!   :woohoo:
                  Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

WOW!!  How neat!!!

Comment

Great thread.  OnewiththewillD you aren't the only one to notice certain points break a certain way.  A study I read about Susquehana broadspears, North east transitional period for those unfamiliar.  Only 2% were found broken at the base.  That has people thinking.... were they for knife fights?  Were they not always projectiles?  Well, I'd love to hear any observations you could share. 
                      I've found about 3 to1 broken to whole ratio in my searches.  I feel pretty lucky after reading gregzbola's post.  10-1!  I'd have given up lol.
                      I have stumbled upon a couple reduction sites at or near a quarry and I assume the couple brokes I found there are during manufacture.  I happen break an embarassing number of points when I knap. 
                      So I'll post some NJ brokes when I get a minute.
                      New Jersey

Comment

I always thought about it too.
                        When I go on a dig, we tend to find exhausted or broken things in groupings. Seems to me its usually associated with a camp site or fire rock area. Why would there be so many brokes in close proximity unless there was a reason such as manufacture or re-purposing. Especially if an impact fracture isn't obvious on an otherwise beautifully finished point or blade.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6781 [replaced].jpg
Views:	40
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	210553

Lone Star
                        FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

Working...
                        X