Some Tool Examples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Tool Examples?

A goal of mine is to obtain one of each type of tool that a typical Native would have had at their disposal.   I know all about the drills and scrapers but what about the less commonly posted items like gravers?  There is not a whole lot of information on them.  Does anyone have any picture examples of gravers or other tools that they would like to share?  I would appreciate it.  The reason I am asking is because there have been numerous occasions now where I have only found out that I had a "something" after I saw a post on here.  Before then it was just an odd looking rock in my pile of "maybes" or possibly one that I threw back into the water or field because I had no idea (pretty sure I did this with a chopper).
    Montani Semper Liberi

there are alot of different types of scraper. atleast 10 types, probably more. adze, spokeshaves, crescents, perforators. There are probably many more knapped tool types. Then you have hard stone tools and their different types as well.

Comment

Sorry I didnt realize how broad my question was.
      Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Even so, 1 thread with representatives of each tool type would be great. I am in the same boat as you are. I have ben wolking over alot of stuff. I didnt know about most of the hard stone tools that are found around here. I also didnt know that there were so many different types of scrapers.
        So I have walked over probably houndreds of artifacts.

Comment

Hey gents:
          waterglass wrote:

So I have walked over probably hundreds of artifacts.
          LOL
          Knowing what they look like or not knowing what they look like you're going to walk over them anyways! I often wonder how many I didn't see when I come out of a field!
          The more you keep at it and keep learning the more you'll find though.
          Flip all the flint you're eye catches, you never know. Have you spent some time going through the information section or searching through old posts? Lots of info in here that will help you get a better handle on what to look for.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Greg I went to the Artifact Resource Tab and clicked Misc Flint Artifacts.  I didn't see anything in that particular section that I could use.  Maybe there have been more posts that need to be added to the Artifact Resource Tab.  If there have been any recent posts the subject of gravers and other misc tools I'm sorry I missed it.  I will keep digging through the old posts and also keep trying on google.
            Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

And maybe myself or one of the others should get some threads and posts moved in there! Think I'll get to work on that.
              Here's a couple of links though:

http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/g...-lets-see-them
              http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/i...kshop-virginia
              http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/g.../101137-drills
              http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/g...material-paleo
              http://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/g...ent-paleo-site

Comment

Thanks Greg.  These help a bunch.  Now I can put names to the pieces I miss instead of calling them rocks
                Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but a "graver" looks like a crude drill or any flake with a tip?  Again thanks Greg I added these links to my favorites on my phone.  They are very informative and exactly what I was looking for
                  Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Here are some examples of various tools I have, there are several gravers in there too.

Comment

What are those curved pieces?? Those are all really cool man thanks
                      Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Joel, you have some nice finds there
                        you must be finding them up in the dakotas,looks like a lot of knife river flint in your finds
                        love that stuff

Comment

"What are those curved pieces?? Those are all really cool man thanks "
                          Thank You.
                          They are just large flakes that were used for various tasks. Knife work, scraping, and even removing bark from limbs.

Comment

"Joel, you have some nice finds there
                            you must be finding them up in the dakotas,looks like a lot of knife river flint in your finds
                            love that stuff  "
                            Thanks, and good eye
                            ! While I have found many of them, there are also many that I I have acquired. They are all from either North or South Dakota.
                            Where I hunt is several hundred miles from the KRF quarries so when I see knife river flint, no matter how small. I pick it up.  And just about every time, they show obvious modification. I have found thumb scrapers much smaller than the average little finger nail.

Comment

For me, it's a tough call Luke. I think there is a fine line determining if a flake or more obviously worked piece was used as a drill, punch, awl or graver. A lot of waste flakes can look like they have purpose, maybe they did. But for the numbers that I pick up I have a hard time believing they were all used. I think some just come off that way when being knapped. You knappers can correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption. To this day I still pick up flakes. I have site specific coffee cans full of them!

Comment

Working...
                              X