Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effigy? Scribed? Ancient artwork? Do you see what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effigy? Scribed? Ancient artwork? Do you see what?

Found these in a field that I walk and there are more!
    I think I know what they are, just want to get your guesses.
    Subject title a bit misleading, but I got your attention and Jack, no BS!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

they look like tektites but what do I know?!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Coal or bone?
      Don't pay any attention to me...I've been sooooo off on my guesses lately their probably some rare artifacts only found every billion years. What about meteorites????LOL
        jane

Comment

Greg - did ya try the magnet test.  Jane may not be far off cause when I first saw them meteorite was my first thought.  Course that does have to discount that "Monkey sitt'n under that palm tree" on the bigger one. :woohoo:   ---Chuck
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Do not know what it is but looks to be subjected to some high heat.
          Jack

Comment

Im with Tom, tektites. Is that what yer thinking????

Comment

And I do see the monkey under the palm tree Chuck!

Comment

This is what wikipedia said on Tekites. Very interesting.
                Tektites (from Greek τεκτός tektos, molten) are natural glass rocks up to a few centimeters in size, which most scientists argue were formed by the impact of large meteorites on Earth's surface. Tektites are typically black or olive-green, and their shape varies from rounded to irregular.
                Tektites are among the "driest" rocks, with an average water content of 0.005%. This is very unusual, as most if not all of the craters where tektites may have formed were underwater before impact. Also, partially melted zircons have been discovered inside a handful of tektites. This, along with the water content, suggests that the tektites were formed under phenomenal temperature and pressure not normally found on the surface of the Earth.

Comment

Could be lightning strike? B)

Comment

Some cool guesses, had me looking up tektites. Jack was close, they are subject to heat. There are 4 hills on this site and only found these on one of the hills. Found a few last year and have been wondering about them all winter. Finally put a match to one today and bubbled and melted.
                    Nope not meteorites.
                    They are either petroleum based, tar? or I'm thinking and hoping pitch.
                    Any way to figure that out?

Comment

If it burns then carbon based. Pitch will burn. It could have been from a forest fire and this was left after the tree burned up and the reason it looks like it was subject to high heat.
                      Jack

Comment

Thanks Jack, fun post.

Comment

What do you think those are? It is the same type of rock that I have for my default picture. I just really wanna know what you think they are and I know you seen my well "rock" already.

Comment

When you find out what those are gregszybala please let me know. If you for sure figure out what they are. I would appreciate it very much. They very much resemble my unknown "rock"

Comment

Yall need a good nites rest!! Maybe a review tomorrow would be in order :laugh: It worked for me.lol Abreading stones were valued possessions as is evidenced by thier much wern condition.These were useful in putting the finishing touches on projectole points and other grinding smoothing edge needs.My thought is you can sell them to some of the dealers i have seen on this site.Theres no telling what that dealer with the million year old artiacts would pay you for them.lmao

Comment

Working...
                              X