green marble or ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green marble or ball

I dug it up at the site of a old plantion home that was burned down in 1865 or 66 on the march to the sea.i got a good hit on my metal detector as i was diging for the hit this came up first then a very very small iron pot.i thought old glass marble cool.A few months later my bro n law was at the house talking about a dig he was going to.i ask if he knew about the lil pots. i never seen one even close to that small.I got it to show him and the marble was in the pot he said this aint glass, and its hand made see all the lil chips around it.i thought 100+ years in the dirt and no telling how many times it was played with could do that.he said bring it by the shop some time ill look at it with my loop.i did and he said its a gem stone and the way it looks prob made by a indian.we left it at that.i still dont think he really knew what he was talking about.over the yrs a have sent story and pics to marble sites on line.And still not 1 reply.any one here know gems stones,marbles,or lil round green rocks?lol

I haven't a clue, but if you don't want it I'll take it off your hands.
      jane

Comment

Yeah, that's a pretty little piece!
      Would need better pics to see the way it has been worked,
      or rounded, but a hardness test will tell you alot. If it's
      glass or anything softer you should be able to scratch it with
      the point of a pocket knife. Of course, it's not that easy to do a
      scratch test on a round surface. Don't cut yourself!
      There is green fluorite, real soft and easy to work, but it would
      scratch easier than glass. From Georgia, there's always the possibility
      it's an emerald that made it's way down from the mountains somehow.
      Show it to some more people, especially some that know their rocks.
      It would be hard to get pics good enough for us to tell you anything
      for certain. In the mixed- occupation site you found it at, we definitely
      have to consider historic as well as pre-historic origins.
      Joe

Comment

Some better pics and we could tell you for sure.  Were you diggin the bottle dump?  It looks like a blurry old used glass marble.  Before glass marbles, they were made of clay and porcelain, glazed or unglazed, or made of agate or some other hard mineral.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

turquoise ?

Comment

lol jane that would prob be the best thang to do with it.That way i wont pull it back out a yr or two from now thinking ill track it down this time!!

Comment

THX Joe.I do need a better way of posting pics on here.I lost the cord that plugs into my pc from my camera.Im down to cell phone pics for now.BTW emerald is what my bro-n-law said he is half owner of a pawn shop,but he never took the classes on gems his partner deals in them.And he is a ___hole i dont talk to him.

Comment

Well, Larry, there are probably a lot of jewelers around that could
                tell you if it's an emerald or not. That'd be pretty cool!
                It looks a little on the cloudy side so it may not be gem grade
                but the black stuff on the exterior is something you might see on
                local emeralds.
                Here's a poor picture of a piece of emerald in matrix from the mountains of NC,
                (not the Hiddenite area stuff).

http://www.varockhounder.com/uploads...2418533786.jpg not found

Then again, it could be a marble.
                Joe

Comment

I remember hearing somewhere and can't say where... that the Indians considered the green rocks or stones to be good luck and were considered to be one of their most prized possession. Don't know if there's any truth to this, just what I remember hearing somewhere.
                    jane

Comment

Working...
                  X