End scraper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End scraper?

Are pieces like this always made from broken pieces ? If it is an end scraper , what would it be scraping ? Found in logan county , Kentucky. Any information about these types would be helpful and appreciated .

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2015-01-27 [replaced].jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	207651

Name:	image_2015-01-27-2 [replaced].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	207652

Name:	image_2015-01-27-3 [replaced].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	207653

Thanks for any help

That is a re-purposed point made into a scraper. turtle back, end, spurred, and all other names served one purpose. That was to clean hides. Yours would be better said as a hafted scraper.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I agree with Chase
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I agree with Hoss
        Southern Connecticut

Comment

I agree with Chris.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I would agree with them also. It is a very nice scraper.

Comment

Very nice hafted scraper....The NA peoples repurposed things as they could...This is one exsample of how.  It would have been to small to rechip into any other useful tool so they used it as they felt it would be of most use. Just like we do today other NA peoples found broken points and made them into things they could use. It made more sense then making one from scratch.  Most tools like this were used by the women in the tribe. And I would venture to say women made alot of the tools that were used.
              I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

chase wrote:

That is a re-purposed point made into a scraper. turtle back, end, spurred, and all other names served one purpose. That was to clean hides. Yours would be better said as a hafted scraper.
                  Many people in Middle Tennessee call those "stunners."  Why shoot to kill an animal you plan to eat when you could stun it instead.  Said the White-tailed Deer, "Why, I was just stunned when I saw what they were shooting at me."  Okay.  Now that you have stunned your game, what are you going to do with it---start a zoo?  :rolf:

Comment

Hey Josh, I really like the scrapers. My favorite artifact. Many were used to scrape hides. They were also used on hard materials such as wood and bone.
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                  X