Birdie with a Drooping Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birdie with a Drooping Wing

I have found several birdies with a hanging barb on one side. At first I though it was a fluke unique to a single piece, but I have found others suggesting a repetitive pattern. So I hit the books and the closest thing I could find was a point identified by Baker (1995)

as a Red Filmed Asymmetrical (late woodland).  Now that is fine as I am not that stuck on a name, but I would like to hear your thoughts as to why.

Click image for larger version

Name:	168 [replaced].jpg
Views:	28
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	210405

Very interesting.  I'm sure the asymmetrical corners were done on purpose.  i wonder what that purpose was?

Comment

Very interesting, indeed! I never found one like that. It does closely resemble a Hamilton. But I never saw a Hamilton with a barb on one side of the base. Of course Hamiltons are associated with Late Woodland also. It does make sense that the barb was created for a special use and if so, here is my WAG. Maybe it was used as an arrow point for fishing. Maybe the barb made it easier to pull the fish out of the water if it had a larger barb. :dunno:

Comment

sailorjoe wrote:

Very interesting, indeed! I never found one like that. It does closely resemble a Hamilton. But I never saw a Hamilton with a barb on one side of the base. Of course Hamiltons are associated with Late Woodland also. It does make sense that the barb was created for a special use and if so, here is my WAG. Maybe it was used as an arrow point for fishing. Maybe the barb made it easier to pull the fish out of the water if it had a larger barb. :dunno:
          That is a good guess.

Comment

i think some, but not all, could be the result of resharpening too.
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

OnewiththewilD wrote:

i think some, but not all, could be the result of resharpening too.
              That is my thought too, I've noticed that particular trait also, on Hamilton's from up this way. Probably to do with the thickness and way the preform is crafted to begin with, a relatively Standard reduction technique was probably typical of these size and style triangles.
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Working...
            X