Right angles in nature ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right angles in nature ????

I heard or read some where that nature does not produce right angles. Is this true?? :dunno:

I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Absolutely untrue!
    Pyrite, fluorite, galena and salt (to name a few) will crystallise in perfect cubic (isometric) forms. It’s actually one of the most common fundamental crystallographic shapes (even if you can’t obviously see it in macro-crystals).
    Tetragonal mineral crystals have three axes of symmetry which are at right angles to each other (apophylite, cassiterite, zircon etc). Hexagonal or Trigonal mineral crystals have four axes, one of which is at right angles to the others (rock crystal quartz, hematite, dolomite, calcite etc). Orthorhombic mineral crystals have three axes which are all at right angles to each other (aragonite, cerrusite, enstatite, olivine etc). Monoclinic mineral crystals have three unequal axes, two which are at right angles (gypsum, epidote, amphiboles, jadeite, micas, orthoclase etc).
    Rocks which are predominantly rich in a particular mineral may form with hidden cleavage planes that follow the crystallography of that mineral and so may naturally break in the same manner.
    Some igneous rocks (such as basalt) will crystallise in columnar polygons and unevenness in those polygons may also produce the occasional right angle. Also, all sedimentary rocks (including some metamorphosed ones) have the capability to bed in perfectly parallel strata, such that vertical faulting in those strata can produce right-angled square and rectangular blocks, as well as right-angled voids that may subsequently fill with minerals or intrusive rocks.
    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks Roger.....I knew if anyone could give me an answer it would be you. Even though I don't understand all you have said   :rolf:  but I do understand That nature can produce rocks that could be square at perfect angles. so whats left of the rock that I have pictured could be and most likely is natural.
      I Have Never Met A Rock I Didn\'t Like

Comment

Hey Jeff, I think it looks natural. This area is colered in limestone and I see right angles in the limestone many times. With the limestone it just fractures that way often.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

In a runoff ditch at our old place i used to find a few (ish) square and rectangular rocks. :laugh:
          http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
          X