Is This Anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Anything?

I am a fisherman and brick collector. (I search for and collect historical bricks while I Carp fish.)
    Anyways, while showing a friend my online photo album I showed him a "rock" that I've gone by a lot of times and photographed once. I did because it's very geometrical and seems man made. However the site is littered with a lot debris from circa 1840-1930's and then again from about the last 30-40 years. The location is a man made pond along an industrial area which was apart of the industrial revolution hence the attraction... and all the debris.
    What I am getting to however is that this item likely was moved here at some point. Which is why I never attributed it to be an native american item.
    What does the community think?

Sorry - to give a scale, it's probably a 3.5 - 4 foot diameter in size. So it's not small.
    I hope you enjoy!

Comment

It was probably a peice off of something recently made. If it was of ancient origin, it could be some sort of mortar.

Comment

Well Ead I am no expert but have never seen anything that large for a mortar by the ancients. I am guessing it is waste from a manmade job in recent history. But I wouldn't take my opinion to the bank. Probably little help but still a neat looking piece.

Comment

The type of stone looks like some of the mortars I have found. But mine are alot smaller around 10in across and fits well in the hand. And has finger groves on the bottom to hold them. Some of these are actually made out of lead stones so wash your hands after you handle them. :S

Comment

It could very well be a large mortar, they can get huge on village sites. If you'll empty out the dirt and pebbles in it then wash it out, maybe it will show if the inside was ground out by use- or not.

Comment

Working...
            X