Mis-identified artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mis-identified artifacts

This has the look of a Folsom, but I do not think it is. There is not enough there to make that call. but I will say most that look at say it is. what do you think?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	425.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	206172 Click image for larger version

Name:	427.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	206171
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Hey Bud, It looks Folsom, but the damage is right at that borderline.. shouldn't it be ground?
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Hard to say, but cool if it is.
      South Dakota

Comment

What if? and this is a long shot! Like Oooopps the Folsom Man said when he dropped it while I was showing the neighbors kid. Or the kid may have said let me see and grabbed it causing it to drop. A couple grunts and some cussing later on and he said to himself. Self, I never got a chance to finish off the basal grinding!
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Are you thinking Folsom point, or Folsom graver. If the projection is one of the ears, then the piece is upside down. In that case, and suggesting the projection is a basal ear, then I don't see Folsom, or even Paleo. There isn't any evidence of a flute. The one side has a flat plane, which is part of the shape of the piece of flint used. There aren't any concentric waves visible in the photo to indicate a flute on either side. It's almost impossible to identify that piece to any culture, unless it was found on a site with other similar, finished point or tools.
          http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Connied
            Connied commented
            Editing a comment
            The mis-identified relic is something. I believe it to be a pendant. The Hohokams like to make many of their tools and pendants with faces. There was also a peak on the top part of the head with an eye that appears to have lashes but in reality the lines are serpent marks. The mouth is also a serpent. The serpent or Avanyu was important to the Mississippians and the Hohokams that lived Arizona were part of their culture. So many people involved in authenticating relics have ignored the above. If you look closely at stones that some say are nothing more than natural
            you might find that the stones are real, don't throw them into the garden! I have found many with the exact marks and the water didn't make the marks but man did. I put photos of many of my relics in books that you can find on iTunes books under Constance Harris Deise

• painshill
            painshill commented
            Editing a comment
            What utter nonsense Constance! It most certainly is NOT a pendant... Hohokam or anything else. Please do not continue to use the forum as advertising space for your own interests. Otherwise, I promise you that something bad is going to happen!

Is that the same one I got to hold? If so, I'm sticking with Folsom. In hand a lot easier to see Folsom.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
            Is that the same one I got to hold? If so, I'm sticking with Folsom. In hand a lot easier to see Folsom.
            Greg some times I think it is then other times I don't. ..even in hand. Charlie's post on dionostic end vs tip and in hand you can tell better than a pic
            If saw this from a pic I would say yes but some how with this one could go either way. Then the second half would be location it was found. But not definitive but lends probably
            My fence becomes a site of multiple occupation not enough to tell reductions or point to make that call
            Charlies tip I have no doubt but you have to take a judgment call
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
            X