X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a Madison?

Delaware, Ontario origin.

Full haft grinding. 1 3/4 inches.

I am second guessing the possibility of it being a Madison.

Any thoughts as to classification and toolstone are as always greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Madison 1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	209437 Click image for larger version

Name:	Madison 2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	209438

Nice point, I really like that material, very nice!

Comment

What a dandy, beautiful point you are showing us. As to whether it is a Madison. It could be but Madisons are usually much smaller. Madisons are typically less than an inch in length and are very thin in cross section. And I can't really see how thin it is. I kinda get the impression that it may have a slightly median ridge or ellipitical cross section. If that is truly the situation then that would rule out it being a Madison. There are many triangular shaped points from the Woodland period that can be confused. Maybe someone who collects from your area may offer a more definite opinion.

Comment

I would not call that one a Madison. It is missing a corner. I wonder if the other corner looked like this picture I just doctored? You say it is ground along the basal edge. That is an Archaic traite in my opinion and if the ear did look like the one on the left in the picture it could be a Brewerton eared. That is pretty much a stab in the dark though. Perhaps it looked more like this at one time. As far as the lithic goes more info on find location might help nail that down. Click image for larger version

Name:	wy1 copy.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	209463
        Last edited by Hoss; 05-20-2016, 08:03 PM.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I believe this one to be a Madison it is is Dover Chert. A Middle TN point. The scale in the picture is CM. There is no basal grinding at all. It is not broken it just has a wierd shadow on the base. Click image for larger version

Name:	dover triangle.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	209465 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4046.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	209466
          Last edited by Hoss; 05-20-2016, 08:08 PM.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey David, I like the point and lithic. Is it translucent?
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ft ancient? I dunno Madison? Nice artifact love the lithic.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Fort Ancient are much narrower than that in my honest opinion.

Comment

The point you are showing us IMO is not a Ft. Ancient.

Comment

That's a nice point! It doesn't seem quite right for a Madison... flaking is different and looks too thick, but could be a result of material. I believe grinding is unusual on Madison points; none in my collection have any grinding at all. It has an Archaic look to me, but just not sure.

Comment

Yes, it is translucent. Also, 6 mm thick. Thank you all. I took a couple more snaps and tried to upload this AM. That didn't work as I was using my Mac at home. It is a long weekend here. I am going to try to upload a couple of images later/tomorrow.

Comment

Name:	wy2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	209926 I hope these go through.

Name:	wy1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	209925
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Hoss; 05-23-2016, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I hope you do not mind I edited the post to add the pictures full sized.

Comment

• Hi-Lo
                            Hi-Lo commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Not at all my friend. Thank you for doing so.

Thanks again everyone.

Hoss, I really appreciate all your help. And, yes I agree with your 'Brewerton Eared-Triangle' classification. I just read through the description for said point in Justice and it corresponds to mine.

Late Archaic, 5000-3700 B.P.
                          Last edited by Hi-Lo; 05-24-2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X