No announcement yet.

Lots and lots of chert, need help plz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots and lots of chert, need help plz?

I found this unlikely spot that is just covered in flakes and chert. I say it seems unlikely because it's on the side of a hill and I am not seeing where there is any water really close by. Does it seem likely this was a camp or something else perhaps? What is the best way to search an area like this? I felt so overwhelmed because it's almost too much to look at all at once. We found this at the end of the day so we searched some but not a whole lot and didn't find any artifacts. Thanks in advance for any help!

There may be a seasonal spring up there. I hunted an area that was 250' above a river. The climb to the river was precipitous. Almost straight down. If you were to climb up from the river a person stand a foot in front of you would have been showing you his or her shoes. Steep incline. The site was prolific! There was Early Archaic through woodland. I found that dotting the ridge line was three very small trickling streams just bubbling out of the ground. In summer one of these dried u completely. Sites where not always chosen for comfort. Some site were chosen as a observation point to hunt from., A defensive position to keep an eye out for enemies., A place to just collect raw material and then leave. There could be numerous reasons for people to go where there was no water. If you are in an arid climate then perhaps they utilized succulent plants to get water while camped there. Just some thoughts to ponder.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

This place would have surely been a great lookout. You could see for miles and from the top of this mountain. There is a year round creek at the bottom and a couple miles up as well. Springs could be a possibility too as this area is known to have springs. I didn't see evidence of any but doesn't mean there aren't any. I will definitely plan another trip back up there. This site could keep me busy for the next year and then some probably. Will be interesting to see if this site will have artifacts or just materials. Thanks Hoss!

Comment

I wish I could see the second pic closer and clearer. In the lower left corner there appears to be a medium sized piece of worked chert/flint but can't enlarge the photo anymore. Wish you luck in the search and hope you find lots of interesting artifacts to show us. ...Chuck
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• mtnsolitude
          mtnsolitude commented
          Editing a comment
          Unfortunately the pictures were from my cell phone so not very good and I am not able to blow it up anymore either.

It seemed like soooo much to look at. Wasn't sure where to start or how to even begin sifting through any of it.

mntsolitude, it looks promising! Where your hunting, like Hoss said, it is a seasonal camp. Water may be a factor but Spring camps had a ready water source of snow. The ridge is always a great place to look with a commanding view. Migration of animals from lower laying land to the high country would happen in that time frame. The amount of lithic would suggest that a quarry somewhere close by. A Tale tail sign would be large flaked bi-faces.Most will be broken. Also it could have been hunt a few times in the past 100 years as well which would make it more difficult to spot the obvious. Glad to see you out hunting,
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• mtnsolitude
          mtnsolitude commented
          Editing a comment
          I am looking forward to getting back up there and really hunting this area. It seems to be a rather large area from what I could tell. May have to spend a weekend there and see what we can find, I wouldn't doubt if there was a quarry somewhere nearby either. Seems to be an interesting geological area as well. You're right, with all the chert and flakes there it would make it more difficult to spot the obvious. Glad to be out again.
      Working...
      X