Any idea what this might be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea what this might be?

My 160 yr. old home was build on a burnt rock midden. I found this bone piece today and scanned it front and back. any idea what it might be?
    Thank you!
    Sharon

I'm a total novice, but, could it have been some type of brush?

Comment

BTW, it's really beautiful!  What an awesome find!

Comment

Looks like an early toothbrush to me. Bone was the typical material used. The US patent for toothbrushes was filed in 1857. Prior to that, chew sticks or fingers were used and native Americans didn't use them.
        One of you experts is about to show me up and tell us it's part of a porcupine quill brush used for wool-carding in the archaic period. I just feel it in my waters. :S
        Roger
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Interesting!  I hadn't even thought of a brush!

Comment

Thinking toothbrush also, came across one that is like yours. Never seen one with that many holes before. It was huge to me, maybe as long as 2in. Wish I would of kept it now would be able to compare them.

Comment

Here is a link
              Busacca Gallery - A premier free online consignment service of quality works of art and antiques

Butch

Comment

Yes!  I'm sure you are right.  I looked at online pics of early toothbrushes and this fits.  Thank you.

Comment

Roger they did so use their fingers! LOL I had too!
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                  X