No announcement yet.

Any Love of colorful Quartz/Quartzite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Love of colorful Quartz/Quartzite?

Although most of my finds are of the more generic white or tan color, occasionally I'm lucky enough to find some that's a bit more exotic.
    In my half century of sleuthing for artifacts I've only come across two or three made from this firey color. I believe this MD. point is an Orient Fishtail type.
    If you have any colorful artifacts of quartzite (any hue), feel free to post 'em up!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	I_RedQuartziteMD.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	232743

Name:	M_MD_P.G.Co.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	232744

Name:	M_VariousMDbanners.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	232745
    Last edited by Olden; 11-26-2016, 03:12 PM.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Olden - That's some beautiful color and opaque to boot. That stuff has got to be hard to work. I'm surprised they were able to even get a general shape out of it. Nice find. ...Chuck
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Olden
      Olden commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck, I've never got past the 'cutting my hands all the heck up' stage of knapping,: my nightmare would be trying to make a point out of a golf ball sized river cobble I think. I was hoping Sneaky. or Ron would show us how it's done

very nice

almost looks like some nice honey colored hixton quarzite

Comment

Beautiful material. I'll see what I can come up with.

Comment

Olden - I was looking through my artifact box and found these. I almost forgot that I had them. I can remember when I found them. Our ground is mostly red clay and they stuck out like a sore thumb. I looked at them but almost left them but the shape caught my eye. The white dot is correction ink where I number each point for Id purposes. ...Chuck

Name:	Quartz Points.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	232772 Click image for larger version

Name:	Quartz Points2.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	232773
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Olden
          Olden commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice edgy looking points - what would you type them as in your neck of the woods? I'm sure the dart on the left would glow with a bit of natural light - nice finds!

Hey Dan, That's a beautiful quartzite artifact point. I have worked very little quartzite because it is so tough. This one is my best knapped quartzite point.

Name:	Point 229a.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	232782 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point 229b.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	232783
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Olden
          Olden commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe that stone was talking to you - some dang nice work Ron!

• CoachG
          CoachG commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree with Olden. Real nice work.

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          That's beautiful, Ron.

Pretty hard not to like the variety of quartzite collectors sometimes call "sugar quartz" because of that sugary texture. That's a nice find, Dan. I've got a few sugar quartz points. Here's a Clovis from Ky......
        Rhode Island

Comment

• Olden
          Olden commented
          Editing a comment
          A fine old point Charlie, looks like it would fly like a bullet - very solid! Yeah, gotta love that texture & color.

Olden- I find these kinda hard to classify except for side notched. Closest I could find is Big Sandy but I'm no expert especially when the quartz lacks the detail that one would usually use to id a point. ...Chuck

Comment

Here is a Madison point I recently found made from a greenish quartz type material..

Comment

Hey olden...that point looks like it could be susquehanna type as well...

Comment

And more "sugar quartz" quartzite from Ma. Typing is tough at the best of times. I can see Orient-like with your point, Dan, but, like Chuck pointed out, I can see Big Sandy/ Otter Creek as well. Here we have an Atlantic and an Otter Creek. I've always like quartzite, and the sugar quartz variety is as good as it gets where quartzite is concerned.....
            Rhode Island

Comment

• Looks2Much
              Looks2Much commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, those are awesome

Well, this is quartzite, but not sugar quartz. But, for comparison, a yellow quartzite fishtail. We actually recognize 2 varieties in southern New England. Orient Fishtail, and Orient Stemmed. The latter appears to be an Orient with a stem variety reflecting influence of the Small Stem Tradition. This piece appears to be an Orient Fishtail. Personal find.....
            Rhode Island

Comment

• Olden
              Olden commented
              Editing a comment
              Charlie,
              THOSE KICK BUTT!
              Always amazed at your collection & knowledge - Thanks!

Here is a nice sugary quartz Fort Nottoway from the shores of the chesapeake..

Comment

• Olden
              Olden commented
              Editing a comment
              A grand old point - nice example man!

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice!

Olden I have always loved the colorful quartzite, especially the red hues. I have made it a goal of mine to find a whole red one. The fishtail is beautiful I'm a little jealous, thanks for showing. All I have to offer is some very river worn tips and bases.
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are ver colorful!

• Olden
              Olden commented
              Editing a comment
              Those are as nice as about as any quartizite out there Sugaree (and large!). When I become discouraged and am sure that there's not an artifact left to be had anywhere, is when I would usually find that special point - funny how that works. I'm sure yours is on the way.
              Thanks!

Here's a Neville point and some flake tools made of an unknown material, at least unknown to me. They seem to be of a green quartzite but no one so far has been able to be sure. Click image for larger version

Name:	green neville c.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	232943 Click image for larger version

Name:	green neville d.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	232944 Click image for larger version

Name:	green neville e.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	232945

Comment

• CMD
              CMD commented
              Editing a comment
              FWIW, have found a lot of that green quartzite on a few of my sites in RI.......

• Olden
              Olden commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice stuff! I think that it's a form of Cervidae Kryptonite..
              Last edited by Olden; 12-07-2016, 07:50 PM.
          Working...
          X