Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pieces made on the fly then just dropped there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is exactly what I was getting at Water....I find these pieces from time to time that show obvious work but not close to a finished product. In my area its anyones guess at to where preferable killing spots were as the land has been greatly disturbed but I have found information of large marshes and swampy areas that were drained, cleared and tilled upon the arrival of settlers and that is where I have found these pieces...in an out of way place where now you would think...why is this here?...but at one time it was most likely a good spot to hunt...thanks for the link to that forum Water...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• waterglass
      waterglass commented
      Editing a comment
      Your welcome. They generally made camps near running water, and protection from prevailing weather patterns.

Once you get an idea of the things they looked for you can spot likely places where camps would be. Game runs, water, hills or banks that would shelter them from the wind, high enough not to flood.

Originally posted by waterglass View Post
    Here is a thread I did on this subject. These were found off a site where 3 natural game runs meet and it is close to a year around spring.

Here are a few hand held tools. IMO, These ones show work on the side that would rest against the index finger, and obvious work and use wear on the working edge.

I find hundreds of tools that were minimally worked, and used until worn out and discarded.
    That's one really cool thread. Great information and what seems to me to be a very sound thought process.

Comment

• waterglass
      waterglass commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

Originally posted by BabaORiley View Post
    Thank you for that post Chase. That is what I was getting after. Simple tools made for immediate use and then dropped. Now I realize that a western bison kill site and a couple of pieces found in an odd place along a riverbank in the Midwest are not the same. I was just noticing the amount of these type of tools that I have seen lately and they show signs of work. They come from all over the Midwest and other areas as well but the Midwestern finds interested me. That must have been a helluva site to visit Chase. Was it a jump site?
    Baba, this site is close to the bottom of a wide valley. It is a year around spring that water flows into a creek. I would guess it was more of a Bison wallow, where they would use more for a water supply as well as to harvests animals. The campsite Could be in several; places around the spring all spots are with in a half mile that would be good locations for a view and high enough to get a breeze to keep the bugs away.
    I did not get pic.s of the site....
    The thing about expedite tools is they may go un-notice by most collectors, and when found in context there is no doubt.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
    X