Question For You Seasoned Point Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question For You Seasoned Point Hunters

What do you do with your finds after you pick them up? I'm becoming increasingly nervous about them chipping each other in my pockets! I usually designate my left pockets for my best finds and then dump all of the brokes and cool flakes, etc, into my righthand pockets. But, the other day I had more than just one or two good ones and I had to resort to wrapping the two best ones in the spare pair of gloves I brought for my daughter. Which concerned and perplexed her to no end. "Daddy, why are you putting those triangle rocks into my gloves!?"

I've been thinking about using a fly-fisherman's box to transport my best ones... something like this

But I wondered if there was a better solution? I watched a YouTube video where the guys pulled a really nice Susquehanna Broad out of a creek and, with a heavy Appalachian (maybe?) accent, said, "..mmK now we got ta get this in some terlet paypor so it don't get broke.." I guess, the 'terlet paypor' serves multiple purposes, but if I saw a guy with his head buried in the rocks holding a roll of TP, I'd be wondering what he was really looking for.

Thanks guys...
    Last edited by Looks2Much; 01-06-2017, 04:48 PM.

Always used my pockets. When I smoked cig ( Marlboro Red) I would put good finds in the box. Mostly just used pockets though.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      i recently resorted to putting a 10,000 yr old late paleo point i found here in new england in one of my gloves to protect it on way home,, long and thin,, called a varney point,, nice parallel flaking

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      Show us a picture of that! We would love to see it.

Never had a problem using pants pockets in summer. When the wife and I hunt, in my pockets everything goes. Coat pocket in Winter. I can see picking the right pocket for something that takes my breath away, but I ain't holding my breath till I find such, lol...
    Rhode Island

Comment

That's a great idea Looks...I have always pocketed them but have never had to worry about too many points rattling around in my pocket....I'm just an Illini flatland surface hunter. Now maybe those Texas or Carolina hunters...with their hauls might wanna look into that and don't let me forget KY and MO....and TN also...
      Last edited by BabaORiley; 01-07-2017, 03:38 PM.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Frank - What about Tennessee???!!!

Mine all go in a used vitamin bottle. That's how I got started, and now I won't leave home without it. It got to be a part of my equipment. When I do find an especially nice one with a very nice tip, I'll put it in a little pocket in my camera case. It's cushioned. No more banging around for that point.
      South Dakota

Comment

Here's my bottle. Guess I'm bored.
        South Dakota

Comment

• Looks2Much
          Looks2Much commented
          Editing a comment
          I can totally relate to feeling a lucky vibe from a seemingly innocuous object. Hell, I had a name for my favorite Pencil Popper (fishing lure) - I called it "Big White" it was a wooden lure and I had to epoxy the bare wood several times from the wear and tear of landing dozens of fish... then she broke off and, my heart still has a hole... lol.

I'll usually wear cargo type pants ones with multiple pockets and have one devoted to precious cargo. The other pockets maybes, chips, pottery and if I'm lucky enough to find a killer ill gently hold it I'm my hand until I can put in car. I feel as if carrying a case would be unlucky but I am a little superstitious.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Looks2Much
          Looks2Much commented
          Editing a comment
          Oooh, the "u" word. I used to think bringing a camera fishing was unlucky, but then I started bringing every trip and it became just part of the stuff I always bring.

As for holding it. I have resorted to that too, but I worry about tripping or...,

About 10 years ago I was fishing (yeah I like fishing) in a gated neighborhood - offseason - no one around. I found where they hid a spare key, so I'd just let myself in and out when the summer folks were gone. Well, I got back to the gate and grabbed the key. When I squatted down to grab the padlock a single strand of long grass swung through my periferal vision and into my face... I reacted as if it were a hornet and swatted it... in the process of that knee-jerk reaction I threw the key!!! Locked in, I was in full panic mode. It took me about 30 minutes, but I finally did find the thing!

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Be careful with your cameras when fishing. I dropped a 300 dollar camera into the Beaverkill just above the Junction pool in Roscoe NY and that hurt! Ruined the camera. I was picking up dozens of larvae that was on the hatch. They were huge and crawling out of the water. No one was catching a thing. Then I scored these little critters and my best friend and I caught at least a dozen trout each and released them. One every cast we were catching nice trout. Other fishermen on the Junction pool that day were dumbfounded/ LOL

• Looks2Much
          Looks2Much commented
          Editing a comment
          Hoss, my cameras are waterproof. I have a small Sony that I stuff inside my wetsuit when swimming out to rocks off the RI/MA coast. I can send a link if you're interested. It's a really nice camera, with lenses designed by Carl Zeiss, who my camera freak friends say is the Rembrandt of lens designers. In any case, it takes really nice pics and has been through the ringer with me for the last 4 years, still ticking.

Since I'm lucky if I find more than one on a hunt, in winter my gloves have a zippered pouch on the knuckle side that I slip points or sea glass into. In warm weather I just drop them into my pocket.
        Child of the tides

Comment

I use a hard eye glasses case. I will wrap point in paper towel and put in case. If I find more than one i roll em up in paper towel where they are not in direct contact. I have found some that won't fit. I DO NOT PUT THEM IN MY PANTS POCKETS! I can tell some real horror stories of some world class piece being busted or dinged up in pockets. I feel safer holding them in my hand "the one with five fingers".

Comment

Back in the day I used to put my points in a little fanny pack which I placed in front or on the side. For larger stuff like celts, mortars, pestles and such larger and heavier stuff I would have a larger bag or smaller backpack to use. Never put points in pants pockets. The western style jeans that I usually wore were much to tight to risk putting things in pants pockets.My best hunting buddy put his in a small cloth bag that was stitched to a strap that he could carry on his shoulder or across his chest. When I found something that looked fragile then I would wrap it separately in a handkerchief for safe keeping. In those days it was not uncommon to find a dozen or many more points on a site and it was necessary to safeguard them from breaking. When going out on the river to hunt we would frequently carry little plastic or paper bags to keep them separate because we would often visit several sites on an all day hunt. When hunting small fields that amount of preparation was not usually necessary. Also, when hunting many sites on one outing we needed to keep the points from each site separate so we could label them properly when we got back home.

Comment

Three points was the most I ever found in one hunt and just picked a pocket for each. Some Guy's Rock The Fannypack or A backpack though. What I like are very small tackle box's but never actually found so much to be sure to bring one next time out. Good Topic
              http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Hey Looks - I had to laugh when I read your post. I can't ever remember finding more than one on a hunt so I never had the problem. But that said, I have always carried a package of small (1.5" x 2.5") plastic zip top baggies with me when I hunt. I also store each point in one after I've cleaned them for storage. They sell them at Hobby Lobby and other stores and they're cheap. Maybe someday I'll find two and I can deal with your dilema. But I did take to heart the advice about pants pockets. Some of these points and blades can be extremely sharp. ...Chuck
                Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Looks2Much
                  Looks2Much commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm learning that I have been lucky to stumble upon a few better than average sites. I don't usually find more than two, but on a couple occasions I have found as many as 7. I took my uncle to one of them a few weeks ago, he found his first-ever point... a Squib Stemmed and promptly broke it in his pocket, after that I've been pretty paranoid.
                  Last edited by Looks2Much; 01-09-2017, 11:54 AM.

Made an edit for ya Chuck...
                The chase is better than the catch...
                I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Broken points and miscellaneous pieces go into one pocket while whole points get a pocket of their own. Every once in a while I'll find a piece that is so nice I carry it in my hand the rest of the hunt. In all the years I have hunted, I have never broken a point from putting them in the pocket, so I really don't worry about it too much.

Comment

Carry mine in a backpack.

Comment

Working...
                    X