Stone Hand Axe tool Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone Hand Axe tool Identification

Hi, I was in hopes to get some identification of this Axe , It measures around 10" and is stone and if I flick my nail on it it almost seems like glass . its heavy ,I have been offered to purchase this from a long time collector but he is not quite sure of what or where or when this axe was made. And I dont want to get taken so I was hoping for some advice .the sticker says mayan but he purchased it with that on the item, Its really cool and sharp .Any thoughts would be much appreciated . Thanks for looking .

I never saw anything like this from areas I used to collect in Tenn. and Alabama. It looks to be obsidian. If it were me I would be very wary of this item if he could not provide good provenance. If it looks too good to be true then it probably is. There are lots of fakes out there on the market. There are others on the forum who are much more knowledgeable than me about Mexican or Central American artifacts so maybe they will offer a better opinion. BTW I would not call that a hand axe as such. Seems like a tool like that would have been halfted to some kind of handle and I see no such possible halfting areas. It looks to be very sharp on all edges.
    Last edited by sailorjoe; 01-06-2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Yes I guess I did not think about the sharp edges all the way around . I think its made to fool someone into believing its authentic I think I will pass on the purchase of this . Thanks for advice ,good lesson learned

Comment

These pieces need to be examined by someone familiar with Mayan and Aztec artifacts. The axe actually appears to be a type of glass called " slag". It has a greenish tone, and more glassy look than obsidian. In the frame, the obsidian knife does have the correct shape and form, and looks like it has hydration on the surface, and could be ok. That's probably Toltec, or a copy of a Toltec blade. The Toltec people existed between the time of the Mayans and Aztecs, Mid to Late Classical Period. The two little heads were probably broken off something larger, like a pottery vessel, or statue. Artifacts like this need verifiable provenance, not to be authentic, but to have any value. I think I would pass also.
        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Hey Hertz - Firstly - Welcome Aboard AH.com. Thanks for posting. When I first saw your "Hand Axe" I thought WOW - That's almost too perfect, especially the sharp edges. You've been given some good advice by Paul and Joe. It's an awesome looking piece but I'd be very wary unless they had provenance on it. Do you have any other artifacts that you've found or collected. Post em and let's see what ya got. ...Chuck
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hey thanks for the help, Well I wondered about this little stone item ,its not so perfect and I think may be something cool. I bought it at an antique store in Minnesota so I thought maybe it was maybe a native piece, Anyhow I would like to know any thoughts , I thought maybe the carved lines were maybe a decoration on an old stone tool of some sort . Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	20170108_153728.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	236891Click image for larger version

Name:	20170108_153805.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	236892Click image for larger version

Name:	20170108_153911.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	236893Click image for larger version

Name:	20170108_154002.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	236894

Comment

That is a geofact, or leaverite. It's just a natural stone that was in a field that was plowed at one time, as evidenced by the deep scratches. Those are plow shear marks. Because it's flat and oblong, and looks a little bit like an axe, someone chipped the sides to make it appear to look like an ancient axe, or some tool form. I'll let someone else explain leaverites!!
              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Leave her right there. 😗
                South Dakota

Comment

• pkfrey
                  pkfrey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HAAAAA!! Thanks Gary! I was puzzled when someone first told me that many, many moons ago!!
              Working...
              X