stone item with carved holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stone item with carved holes

Well I would like to know what thoughts would be on this item, I personally found this item in Minnesota and kept it because I found the holes quite unique .Thanks for looking , Its about 5" and maybe 3/4" think quite small

looks natural to me

where at in MN did you find it,count would be fine

Comment

The lighting situation makes this kind of identification hard. I would try taking pictures of the holes up close and in focus while using indirect natural light. That will help, I see concentric rings in the hole but I would like to check out other possibilities like crinoid fossil imprint before saying it has been drilled...
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Looks like limestone which has had concretions weathered out of it.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          Meant to say crinoids not concretions. I think I need a nap. LOL

I will try and post some better lighted images later today, Thanks

Comment

Also I found this in Kandiyohi County MN between lakes Minetaga and Kasota theres a round that winds down a hill that seperates the two small lakes. It has a History of Native Inhabitations . I think its stone art and the shape is of a dino head .

Comment

In the very first photo, the base of the hole seen in the center and on the edge does look like the interior design of a crinoid column. Just a guess, as the photos could be better. I doubt that it is an effigy, however. I do not believe the stone was worked into shape by man. While natives did find dinosaur bones, I do not believe there are dinosaur fossils from Mn, but I could be wrong on that score.
            Rhode Island

Comment

I agree that it is probably a crinoid fossil that fell out. It looks like there may still be one intact still in the stone. Cant really tell from the pictures. Sometimes you can find points with fossil drop-outs.

Comment

With the initial photos provided it looks like a natural stone unmodified by man.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X