Collection..looking for any information 1/8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collection..looking for any information 1/8

I'm not sure what you are wanting for information...but if you are wanting admiration, you got it in spades here...
    that second pic, that one rework just blows me away. Super collection..
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Thank you Jethro. By information I mean really anything. I inherited these from my grandfather about a year in a half ago. I put them away in storage, now I am moving and began looking at them but the thing is, I don't know what I'm looking at really other than they look like cool rocks. I don't know what I have or how old anything is, etc. So, again when I say information, I mean literally any information anyone can provide. I would love to know more about what I have.

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, if you are like me, and my grandfather left them to me, they would be priceless and I would hold on to them like Goldman and his ring.

I don't know if you are just seeking knowledge, but you came to the right place for that. There are guys here who know things. They know the best things. They have all the words.

Seriously though, do you know anything at all about where those were found, or did he purchase them? Maybe a mixture of both?

I just looked through your first four posts and in those 32 pictures, I see some of the most beautiful examples of the most coveted types I've ever seen.

As a word of advice, if you are looking to sell them, get more than one opinion on them...

He collected for almost 65 years in a few different states.. According to him all of those where found by him except 2. And that is correct Jethro I am just looking for information, if someone wants to give a value to me, I'll listen but not selling today.

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I hope you like nice things.

That's a small fortune In Artifacts.

* "the several different states " part is apparent, even to me. These span a fair distance in distribution/territory.

Comment

I couldn't give you any better answers than Jethro has. If they are all legit, which I question, you have some great pieces your Grandfather collected.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Some look authentic, but many look like modern pieces to me.
          South Dakota

Comment

Hi,

I see some that are really old along with newer artifacts if they are all authentic. It's really too much to go over in a post without writing a book. I suggest going to projectilepoints.net and using it as a reference. You should also go to a local arrow head and artifact show. There will be folks there that can give you their opinion as to authenticity and type. No matter what it's a great collection. Thanks for posting all those pictures.

Von

Comment

I just want to thank everyone for all of their input. I posted looking for any kind of information any one could give me, and it sounds like most agree that there are probably some authentic pieces as well as a good amount of modern or "fake"(?) pieces. This makes sense, as I said I inherited these from my grandfather, and lets be honest grandpas have a way with stories! haha. Also, that it really is just too much to sort through with pictures all at once, so having a professional look at it would be the best thing to do. I have set up 2 appointments to meet with appraisers, one from Springfield, MO (close to where I live but not completely sure of legitimacy) and another in Louisville, KY who is able to legal documented appraisals for insurance purposes. I feel like his in person point of view of these items will have the most significance to me finding out what exactly I have. Thank you again everyone and I hope everyone at least enjoyed the pictures, old, modern, authentic, either way it goes they are special to me.

Comment

Well after talking to all of them and doing some research yourself you should have a better handle on what you have. When I look at my collection I know with a gut feeling which pieces are possibly not authentic. I reccomend that you educate yourself and study each piece to develop your on opinion before you have them looked at.

Von

Comment

Yep, I agree with Von, and then...the ones you don't like, box them up and mail them to me. 😁

Comment

Let this be a lesson to all the Grandpas and other Old Pharts about their collections. Also a lesson to younger collectors who buy pieces and collections. Document!
                    Professor Shellman
                    Tampa Bay

Comment

I see a lot of field grade points that are probably OK. I also see a lot of "too good to be true" points and artifacts that may or may not be old. I doubt if they were all field finds by one person, the odds are astronomical. That being said, I'd get an appraisal by someone respected in artifact authentication and appraisal for insurance purposes. Or at least get a big enough safe to keep them in.

Comment

Wintem what was your Grandfather's location?? Ex: If someone's Grandfather in FL left a collection, a FL collector could give reasonable info about it. Find a local collector from this site and meet up.
                        Professor Shellman
                        Tampa Bay

Comment

Just in some off time goggle projectile points in the area
                          you are from or where you feel your GF found these . At least you can get some enjoyment out of what your grandfather would have wanted you to do . If he left these to you .
                          To enjoy the collection and take some deep breaths on some of these very collectible pieces you have .
                          its great you are going to an appraiser / expert to see what you have but there are so many references on this site and people that do have probably the same if not better knowledge .
                          Just to put it into perspective if you can find points now still
                          today just think what your grandfather was finding .
                          Yes you now have this and I do hope some of his stories that went along with this collection . My granddaughter sits with me and looks at books enjoying my hobby .
                          Enjoy them they are wonderful to say the least .

Comment

Working...
                          X