Two questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions

#1 - I dabble in photoshop, curious if this format makes it any easier to study? Enhancing the knapping did effect the color a little.
    #2 - The broken tip looks to me like someone tried to salvage it and then gave up. Does the broken area look worked?

I think this is a Bulverde, Middle to Late Archaic.
    Kevin - North/Central Texas

I can’t really tell if it was reworked. Wouldn’t have been hard to make a perforator or graver from the tip.
    South Dakota

Comment

Hey Ctex, that's a beautiful lithic whatever it is. I like the group shot of multiple angles.It makes my determination easier. The only time color might be an issue would be if you were trying to identify the lithic.

Id call the break a impact fracture most likely, reminds me of some other bending type fractures I've seen wich are created by the weight of the lance torqing the back end of the projectile when it slams to a stop in whatever unlucky recipient. Thanks for sharing!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hey CTex - Those multiple views in a single pic sure helps with analysis of the point without having to go back and forth between pictures. I'm gonna have to check that out. I'll bet it takes less data space for storage as well. Excellent use of technology and thanks bunches for sharing. Very nice lithic by the way.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

That is a really nice piece of material that was used there and it looks to have an impact fracture to it based upon what I know. Impact fracture pieces are really fascinating to me especially in areas where farming or other processes didn't move them much. That impact might have happened right there thousands of years ago. Nice find man...
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Working...
          X