Far out, man!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Far out, man!

Hi all! This is a creek find from northeast MS. I was wondering if anyone else had examples found outside their distribution area, perhaps in LA, MS, or AL? I have a couple others that are possibly the same type. I'll post pics of those too. BTW Any of yall Texans with rocks and/or opinions feel free to post them as well. Here's an interesting description at ppnet.

Cheers,
    Bill

P.S. I'm really interested to know what others thoughts are about this.

northeast MS

A couple more...
    northeast MS

Comment

Exhausted maybe?
      northeast MS

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, still some Meat on It.

Damaged base.
      northeast MS

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        still good find!

Hi Bill, The first one looks like a Pedernales to me. I don't think north MS is too far from the core area of the type as to be totally unexpected in your area. I found several types in north AL that were not considered to be found there. I'm confident that Jack Cambron the author of the point type book for Alabama had points in his collection that included anomalies such as you encountered but did not include them in his book. It is a dandy point you found. The second point looks like a Bakers Creek. The 3rd one with the partially broken base is hard to make a call due to that imperfection but it appears to have an expanded stem base which is one of the identifying features of the Bakers Creek type. Bakers Creek points are Woodland era points sometimes associated with the Copena culture if my memory is correct. But it seems like these days it is not as dependable as it once was

Last edited by sailorjoe; 06-23-2018, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Pedernales is what I just looked for, good call!

I did some further checking in the Alabama Handbook and the Pedernales has been found in Alabama and Tennessee. So your find is not totally unexpected even though they are usually considered to be Texas points.

al

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky point
        What I see when I look at this point is a Kirk stemmed bifuricated base point. The only thing wrong with this theory is that it is not as serrated as most Kirk points. But at any rate, you got yourself a KILLER point!
        Think about this for a second. Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
        X