Learn Something New Everyday - Maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn Something New Everyday - Maybe?

After reading Owen70's recent post about Celts, I got to thinking that maybe I should re look at some of my larger old unidentified artifacts to see what I had. Lo and behold I found something similar to his celt but reserve calling it that till I hear from the experts. So here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_45762.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	312942

Click image for larger version  Name:	Art6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	155.0 KB ID:	312943 Click image for larger version  Name:	Art3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.8 KB ID:	312940

Click image for larger version  Name:	Art4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	312941

The main detractor I can see here with this artifact is it would appear that both edges had a scalloped appearance which would lead me to believe it was for cutting, even though one end is highly polished on both sides. This one passed under a bulldozer that was cutting the logging road below my house not long after I moved here. So - there you have it. What's the verdict???
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Looks like a chipped celt or adz to me. I've got one similar to that and I figured it served multiple purposes.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Olden
      Olden commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking multiple purpose tool also - that polished edge looks as though it was narrowed at some point: maybe started out as as hoe even..

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate ya's BA and Olden.

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome, Chuck.

Nice Stone tool Chuck ...I'd call it a hand axe...I've been trying to focus in on stone tools and larger stones lately ..since round here most guys and girls who kick are lookin for quartz and Flint chipped and flaked stuff mostly....that piece is cool
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      ;Thanks Red - Appreciate ya.

Nice multi-use tool that looks like it could still do some work today in the right hands. Very cool!
    Child of the tides

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Deb - Now I have another to add to my collection with an ident. We appreciate ya.

That is a cool... I don't know what it is, but it's cool!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks KP.

😂😂😂 It’s a knife! Just kidding. Thought my Celt was a knife till you guys weighed in😩. With the my “new found” knowledge of celts, I would say you have a very nice Celt 👍🏻
    owen
    Northern Ky

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Owen - You're the one that started all this. I thank you for your post. Appreciate ya.

remember, I didn’t even know what it I had.
    Northern Ky

Comment

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember - Neither did I. Now we both gots one!!

Celt...no doubt about it.

Comment

Thanks Andy - Appreciate Ya
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Nice find Chuck. I have a few smaller pieces that I believe were tools also. Did you ever think that some tools were made on the spot for convenience and manufactured just enough for a short term purpose? It definitely shows some work to it.
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea - We've discussed before on this forum about expedient tools being made on trail or in hunt camp. Quick and dirty for utility. Makes sense just like if we're back country hiking and camping we fashion stuff for a fire and cooking. We're just a little better equipped than our NA brothers - then again - are we?

Isn’t it nice to go through some of your old stuff after a year or so and realize you have something . From all the information I’ll go with a nice Celt / tool there Chuck .

Comment

• Scorpion68
          Scorpion68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tam - Appreciate ya.

I’m glad you have a good eye, if I found it, I would have chunked it thinking it was just a rock.

Comment

You're not alone NRC. I almost left it where I found it but noticed the flaking on it which then had my undivided attention. Thanks for commenting. Appreciate ya.

Comment

Working...
          X