Inherited artifact legality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherited artifact legality

My father and his dad collected many artifacts together in the North Florida area in the early to mid 60s, a small portion of which remained and are now in my possession after his passing. I would like to offer them on loan for display in some museum or university. I would like to retain ownership of them, as they're really the only heirloom our family had ever had. I just don't know if they would be seized by the state or where would be a good venue to offer them for display. Any advice would be much appreciated!

IMHOP do not have anything to do with the State of Florida and your family collection. These are legal per law and cannot be seized by the State. Cherish Pop and Grandpa's finds. Display them at shows and get more involved you probably have the same bug. People lose stuff on loan and frankly these places have trays, closets and rooms full of stuff, etc. etc. etc. AND the State is NOT FRIENDLY to collectors, specifically anything found in or on state lands and waters that is 50 years old or older. Florida gets nothing boom. Forgive me. I rant. You can for sure post pictures of the collection here because we would love to see and comment on them!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Listen to Tom good advice
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I concur, Tom knows. I too would like to see some pictures.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Tom has my vote as well nothing good would come of it. especially if you waant them to be still apart of the family.
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Comment

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              I don’t know what this is, but it’s beautiful.

Thank you all for your responses. If anyone has suggestions, such as the shows someone mentioned, where I could share these without being involved with the state or state institutions, that'd be great. I'm in the greater Naples area.

Comment

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                I DO know what this is....and Man, is it beautiful!

Here is a link to our events page. Looks like there is one in Florida in December.
              Arrowheads.com - Largest Indian Artifact Website on the Internet. You can find Native American arrowheads for sale. Buy and sell Indian relics online.
              Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Hi,
                I'm also in the Naples area and would be glad to help anyway I can.

Comment

Agree with everything Tom said. Florida is anti collector and there are a ton of horror stories from all over about loaning to museums. I hope you share more here.

Comment

Working...
                  X