Platform pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platform pipes

New member here and first post. I found a platform pipe last weekend (will try and post pics later but I am not very tech savvy-sorry). Is there any literature out there that describes the development and history of these unique artifacts? Thanks in advance.
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Hopefully the pics will show
    Attached Files

Comment

Oh wow, that's a cool one. Where was this found, general location? Do you have in situ photos of it? Pkfrey will know, hopefully he sees this
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Thanks Broken Arrow. It was found very close to the Pennsylvania-Ohio state line but in PA. Sorry but I didn't take any in situ pics, just the top of the bowl was sticking out of the dirt and initially I thought it was an old ceramic beer bottle until I gave it a tug. Dug around for a while but couldn't find the missing piece.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
          Broken Arrow commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome. Wish you could have found the rest of it, that's a heartbreaker right there. Paul (pkfrey) will definitely know as much as anybody about this piece. Can't wait to hear what he has to say about it.

Beautiful find there! You can look up Mound Builders, Hopewell, and Mississippian period to find a lot about them. They dug many out of the mounds here in Ohio back in the day. A rare find these days so the luck is on you.
        Thanks for sharing,
        fldwlkr
        Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Really nice find!

Comment

Sweet!
            Take a browse through this part of the forum a lot of good info there
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

It's a little unusual but I'd guess it's Hopewell. Your area didn't have Mississippians but Ft. Ancient and Intrusive Mound people were there.

Comment

Congrats on that pipe ...welcome from connectucut
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
                  Sweet!
                  Take a browse through this part of the forum a lot of good info there
                  https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...one-pipes-gc78
                  Thanks Greg, spent some time last night reading through the info, very informative...and thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X