Pottery Paddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery Paddle

Does anyone have a picture of a stone pottery paddle they can post? I tink I found one yesterday with some other items I found in NW Georgia mountains. Its almost 10 inches long and 4 inches wide and has a handle on it carved into the stone end. I have never found one before and it is the only thing I think it could be. No pictures cause I cant get to my file to see them. I uploaded them yesterday and had to do it 1 at a time

I don't think pottery paddles were made of stone. Bone and wood were the usual material:

Rhode Island

Comment

sorry no paddles, that was a great link, learned a bunch i've wondered about CMD thanks, looking foward to your pictures ts

Comment

Well thanks for the responses! I had found what I thought was a scraper same place I found the paddle looking item and I was looking in my Overstreet Guide today and found a picture of the scraper. Its a Paleo knife . So whatever the paddle thing is it is probally something to do with Paleo. I will be sure to go back to that spot as soon as possible seeing we just had a hard rain yesterday. And I didnt even hardly look very far yesterday. Still alot of ground to cover. I sure would like to find one of their points! Its about 30 miles from my home kinda far to go but if it turns up a good point it will be worth it. The pictures are in my profile shovel if you want to see it.

Moderator Note: Pictures from profile albums are no longer available.

Comment

There was an article in or local paper about 20 years ago where a couple kids found a stone pottery stamp/paddle in a local creek. They had pictures of it and the kids in the paper. A lady at the museum bought it from them I think. I remember it was a cool looking piece. I think the bottom stamp part looked like a waffle iron kinda if I remember right. Kinda hard to describe.

Comment

Thank you for the info. It actually looks like the paddle the coach had in middle school but made of stone. I saw that paddle more times than I care to remember  :laugh:

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing the "paleo knife"....... What characteristics does it show making it "paleo"?
              Southern Connecticut

Comment

It is showing on the front page (home) in the pictures. In that same stretch of bank I found the paddle/whatever it is,a celt shaped stone (not sure might be a knife),1 humpback scraper,1 turtle scraper,a toma hawk shaped quartz/knife not sure what it is. Might be a hafted side scraper. 1 duckbill hafted scraper quartz,1 quartz oval knife/scraper 2 inches long,a quartz carved cone shaped scraper/knife. All in about 30 ft of shore line. They are on the front page of the site. The rounded paleo knife is the best piece and it is carved from quartz. Its 3 inches long and 2 inches wide.

Comment

I'm not seeing anything there that shows any of the typical paleo characteristics. Just curious as to what your seeing to come to the conclusion of paleo, difficult to see flaking on quartz but you have it in hand...... Does it have any Outrepasse flaking??
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

I will look and try to see. It is very hard to see flaking on this type of quartz. If it was milky white it would show better. I saw it in the Overstreet Guide its got a picture of one just like it. Did you look at the Tomahawk looking thing I found? And if so what do you think it is? It is 3 inches in length also like the knife. And I found a humpback scraper there also that has a notch in the bottom, fits a finger perfectly. I have never found one with a notch carved in it before. The HBS is 3 inches also. I uploaded some more pictures of the knife if you want to look again. I thankyou for your help.

Comment

Cgode, I have been doing further research on these items I have listed and it looks as if they are either Early Archaic or late Paleo. The reason I have came to this is the ax blade with the handle. I have found one in another site that I go to and all of these so far have been early archaic period items. I didnt even know I already had one cause the handle is missing on that one. When I thought I looked at it and saw the break. I figured it was just a damaged area and now know it is missing a handle. I still cant find one any where on the net or other sites! The other one has a larger blade by one inch. These 2 items were found 30 miles apart from each other. The broke one is in one of my frames I have it listed as a side scraper because I dont know the proper name for it. I am sure it is some kind of blade.

Comment

Update on the paddle thing. I have found one on the net and its called a large stone knife  :dry: . I already knew it was stone. Great name for it. The sides are shaped to a blade both top and bottom of the blade.

Comment

Working...
                        X