Help with closure on old lost artifact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with closure on old lost artifact

So about twenty years ago when I was a kid we had a creek behind our house I played in constantly. One day I found a mortar and pestle artifact. It was a stone bowl shaped like a dogbowl sort of. It was stone not pottery and carved fairly thin and we'll shaped. Probably could hold a gallon of water. Next to it was a round stone smooth blackened and almost oily on one side and gray rock on the other. It looked like a complete mortar and pestle to me even when I was 10. Anyway I broke it playing around and left it there and it's been bothering me for years if I ruined and lost a valuable artifact. The creek was running into Keuka lake in New York by the way. Anyone know what kind of rarity or value that thing would have had? Thanks just looking for some closure on something that's been bugging me for years

Its good to hear that kids used to play in the creek. Nowadays they don't know how to play outside. I would not worry about the value. There are a lot of bowls and pestles out there. I would focus on finding another. I found a nice pestle in a creek not to long ago. I sometimes set a goal for my self ( the latest is a celt or adze) and I psych myself into finding one. You would be surprised at what you can do with "will power".

Comment

Cool! I guess now I know I didn't miss out on thousands of $. And I love your idea of getting myself another I think that would be cool

Comment

Rob,
        I agree, kids do not get out enough anymore, who would of thought I would ever get old enough to complain about those darn kids!!! A little off topic, but I remember myself and my neighbor would walk to the ball field and start playing catch, and within a half hour we had 18 to 20 kids at the field!!! There was a guy by the name of Ron Wagner that mowed the church lawn, and he was also the umpire for the little league games in our small 3 block town. He would stop mowing and dawn his umpire gear and we could play a few innings of what we thought was real baseball!!! Now it seems you can't hardly find the two kids to play catch.
        As for the mortar and pestle, Rob hit it on the head, not of great value, but a great story, get out there and find another, you will treasure and appreciate it more now_Bill

Comment

Working...
        X