Curious what type of rock used for this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious what type of rock used for this

So i find alot of this in ne ohio and w pa.the parent rock is rough but in some is this glassy brown sometimes black.in this case its black.sharpe like obsidiam but think its some kind of chert.it is translucent on th3 edges and is a amber yelowish to black.any ideas.

It looks like slag glass to me, slag is a biproduct from the production of iron
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• pkfrey
      pkfrey commented
      Editing a comment
      Hoss, I don't know about that being slag, it doesn't really have that glassy look on the surface. If it's translucent around the edges with a yellowish tint, It could be an opaque chalcedony from the Coshocton quarries. We would need more photos of larger pieces.

Hoss two questions.1 can u post some pics of slag.and 2.did the natives use slag? Curious because i find alot of this and its always worked?

Comment

I have never seen a slag artifact. No I do not have pictures . Paul slag can have a roughed exterior if it was moved in a stream bed and abraded by sand. Sea glass gets that frosted ook to it. SLag can get that appearance as well. I looked at your picture Dirty Bill and this is why I feel that piece might be slag. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_61132.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	371595
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        further more that top edge in the photo appear to have been broken at a later time than the rest of the material. ( It could be the photo?) ( It could be lighting) That sharp edge with the glassy look why would it not be the same dull look as the rest of this obviously broken piece of material?

• pkfrey
        pkfrey commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, it's for sure not an artifact for a frame, so break it in half, and let's see the inside! It could be slag, but being uniform in color is a bit non typical. Usually slag is mottled or swirled from the different mineral properties of iron. Break it in half!!! Or, knock a big flake off so we can see the interior material.

Oh and by the way Worldman 304 did you not think I knew it was you? I am watching you.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	yopaulie.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	371608
      Last edited by Hoss; 06-07-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha Ha! I wondered if anyone else noticed that. I recognized the hands, window and slag. I wasn't going to rat him out.

My first thought after a casual glance was coshocton, or maybe Zaleski chert since it often just black like that. But Hoss might be on to something, the close up pictures look rather glassy.

On the picture that Hoss posted, semi-circle edge pointed towards the grass looks to be quite translucent (or reflecting the color of the grass which also glass-like.)
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	banned.gif
Views:	142
Size:	726.9 KB
ID:	371615

Comment

After I went back and reviewed why you were banned I have decided to let you go again. DirtyBill/Worldman304? Who ever you are. If you want to come back you need to ask first you do not just come back with the new name.

Comment

Gladiator was a good movie
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              It was a good movie until after the big gladiator fight and Max came out on horseback ,with a shining clean sword, oh well....

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              I suggest ( Quest for Fire)

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve probably seen that one to

some slag for your viewing pleasure . Notice thhe luster or lack there of. This was collected by our friend Ethan and gifted to me. It came from the site of an 1840's iron forge near his home. Ethan thank you again for helping out.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20190608_160605.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.8 KB ID:	371830

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              That stuff is good to knap ive got permission certain times of the year to a cow pasture that’s full of big chunks. If you are interested in some? I will try and see if the owner doesn’t mind me getting some next time the Angus bulls aren’t out. Them suckers are mean

• Hoss
              Hoss commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Glenn maybe one of the other guys would like some. I don't Knapp enough to have a need for it. I still have rock from a few years ago I need to break

Glad this thread was started. I find pieces of iron all the time adjacent to old railroad tracks which are everywhere here in california. I also find tons of old black glass in those same areas. I've always wondered, yet doubted if it was obsidian. The reason for the doubt is there are always tons of air bubbles in the cortex, and obsidian is notorious for being fine grained and near-perfect in consistency.
            This confirms that i've been finding slag, and makes sense with the molten like formations i find.

Comment

Working...
            X