"snapped stem"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "snapped stem"

Ive often wondered about them. I posted a picture of some suspects I have in my collection. Why would someone "snap" the base off a point? Doesnt make sense to me so I wanted to ask yall. Everyones knowledge is much appreciated by me! Thanks guys!!

I dont know myself but when I have tried to identify points it does list snapped base as a different item. By the way that is a sweet collection you got there! Are all of those personal finds?

Comment

IMO, there is no such thing as "Snapped Base" points. These are broken at the weakest area of the point. I agree, why would one go to the trouble of finishing a base complete with notches only to purposely break it off. The Decatur point, some Doves, and a few others have a fractured base where the corners of the base are knocked off.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

• Rockhound4life
        Rockhound4life commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm a new artifact hunter. I've read some books trying to educate myself on how to locate camps. Any suggestions? I also am from Decatur Al. I'm a 52 yrs old grandmother who's lifelong goal was to find an arrowhead. Just started this year but don't really know what I'm doing. Can you give me any advice?

I have read where its says straight base. Guess it was that I read. I just figured they meant snapped. Now I have found some knifes with that same base straight/ snapped whatever you want to call it.

Comment

geezer77 wrote:

Ive often wondered about them. I posted a picture of some suspects I have in my collection. Why would someone "snap" the base off a point? Doesnt make sense to me so I wanted to ask yall.
          If the base is snapped off it has been broke during use ...any reasoning suggesting that it was intentional is BS.
        11KBP

Comment

thanks geezer, i was going to ask that very thing,,"snapped stem""snapped base" i have a few like that and i've been calling them snapped base, please don't tell anyone, thanks for taking the hit, i owe you one   ts

Comment

PS,,,,,,,,,,nice  points!

Comment

Oh by the way I found some points today and I was researching them as what they were and guess what?    OS #12, page 439 in case you want to check. KIRK SNAPPED BASE and there you go!

Comment

itwasluck wrote:

Oh by the way I found some points today and I was researching them as what they were and guess what?    OS #12, page 439 in case you want to check. KIRK SNAPPED BASE and there you go!
                  That's one of the reasons I don't own an Overstreet ...and there you go. 

Comment

lol

Comment

itwasluck wrote:

However there are many nice pictures in the OS. 

Comment

Yeah I like the pictures    but I can read 2

Comment

itwasluck wrote:

I wondered how long it would take for this to come up. Overstreet is just plain wrong on this. These are broken points not a special type.

Comment

Sorry if its wrong but it was where I saw it at when I was trying to identify a point I found which turned out to be a Pickwick. A while back. Todays were Morrow Mountain, Brewsters and a Savannah River. I have found Guilfords in the same general area so they all run about 6000 BP time frame. They made some crude and some pretty items in that period.

Comment

Not doubting that you saw it there, I have seen it too. It has been in several editions.

Comment

Working...
                            X