Identifying materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying materials

Hello, I've been reading forums and watching videos, and I'm amazed at how well some people are at identifying the material used for the arrowheads that they find. I am from northern Arkansas and I am not sure what materials were used here. Does anyone know of any resources for determining the material used, and what materials are found in my area?

There is a lot of good info in our Information Center. Greg has spent a lot of time on this. Here is the link:

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• WindWalker
      WindWalker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for posting this...some amazing info on Chert formations in my area of Ontario...awesome...special thanks to Greg

Thanks!

Comment

"Ozarks Chipped-Stone Resources: A Guide to the Identification, Distribution, and Prehistoric Use of Cherts and Other Siliceous Raw Materials" by Jack H. Ray is a little academic but pretty good. If you can find a copy of this poster, it is fantastic. I can't put my hands on mine but I just did an image search for "Lithics of Ozarks Poster." I think Ray helped make it.

Comment

In your area you should mostly find jasper and novaculite with some of the Missouri type chert material.
        SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Working...
        X