Real Among A Bunch of Fakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Among A Bunch of Fakes?

Good morning everyone, I bought a lot of some arrowheads for fun on Goodwill and was incredibly duped (see first two photos), but I think there are some real ones in the mix (see photos 3 & 4).
    What do you think?
    Attached Files

All modern. Do not buy arrowheads if you do not know what you are looking at.

Comment

The fact many/most are fakes & were sold as a group should raise a red flag they are all frauds. Sorry...
      Child of the tides

Comment

I'd like to see photos of the two lanceolate pieces on either end in better lighting. They may likely be fake but they are definitely different than the rest of the more typical gift shop one flake wonders your showing thus worthy a closer look imo. I've seen many people put the real artifacts and the fakes/repros right together not knowing any difference between them...
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

10x Loupe -study the resources/Learning tools available which are immense-and you’ll likely not make that mistake again

Comment

Thank you for the replies. The photos were very deceiving from what I actually received, makes sense they would all be fake.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyflintguy View Post
              I'd like to see photos of the two lanceolate pieces on either end in better lighting. They may likely be fake but they are definitely different than the rest of the more typical gift shop one flake wonders your showing thus worthy a closer look imo. I've seen many people put the real artifacts and the fakes/repros right together not knowing any difference between them...
              Hope these are better lit photos for you.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Kyflintguy
                Kyflintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                I think there's a small chance that those are not fakes. The lighting is better but still not sufficient. The photos would need to be in indirect sunlight out side and the focus would need to very clear. That will help show flaking as well as any deposits or signs of modern work. I say that with the caveat that determining authenticity through photograph alone can be tough and a determination may not be possible. Another suggestion would be to carry them along to an artifact show and get some opinions from people who are experienced with making those determinations. That said unless someone recognizes the material you will likely never know where they are from beyond say Western U.S for example.

Kyflintguy Thank very much I appreciate your time and help. I don’t have much experience with obsidian which seems to be the material so you make some incredibly valid points (no pun intended).

Comment

The large Obsidian knife/spear point looks promising, but as already stated. Photograph it outside or by window \natural light- in focus -up close photos -of the Base of the Artifact worked/blade edges And tip! The other large piece is bizarre- crazy material that looks near impossible to Work. Photograph that too up-close -that thing is wild! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Unfortunately, very fake.
                  "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I think KyFlintGuy & Sage Hen Jack are right. You got luckier than you deserved on those two. (Not that you don't deserve good things, it's just rare for lots like that to contain anything other than bait intended to separate people from their money.)
                    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Originally posted by clovisoid View Post
                      I think KyFlintGuy & Sage Hen Jack are right. You got luckier than you deserved on those two. (Not that you don't deserve good things, it's just rare for lots like that to contain anything other than bait intended to separate people from their money.)
                      Agreed that the Obsidian point may very well be genuine. Looks like it to me from the pictures

Comment

Working...
                      X